Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

199D Lincoln cent, double struck in collar and rotated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 199D Lincoln cent, double struck in collar and rotated.

I changed the picture to create less confusion on this particular error.

BJ Neff
    Last edited by wavysteps; 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Nice coin! I bid on one like that on Ebay a few weeks ago. It went for I think around $400 and I lost it but it was really neat!
    I find a double struck in collar much more interesting than just a double struck coin, or even a saddle strike.
    ---Speedy

Comment

The overlay will only cause additional confusion, in my opinion. It's best used as a supplement to the original photos. BJ's coin is unusual in that the second strike was very weak as the result of insufficient die approximation (excessive minimum die clearance). In other words, something interfered with the approach of the dies to each other on the second strike.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post
        Nice coin! I bid on one like that on Ebay a few weeks ago. It went for I think around $400 and I lost it but it was really neat!
        I find a double struck in collar much more interesting than just a double struck coin, or even a saddle strike.
        Conventional in-collar double-struck cents with big rotations between strikes generally go for between $50 and $125 on eBay, depending on how much of the first strike remains. Just last week a very nice flipover, in-collar double-strike cent sold for $125. So the $400 you cited is excessive.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Yeah....I only bid $75 because I didn't think it was worth it. PCGS had graded it AU and while you could see both strikes pretty good and both dates, it had notable wear.
          ---Speedy

Comment

Other pictures of the 1999D Lincoln cent, double struck in collar

I should have added these to the original post.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
            X