Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you know that CONECA is needed to educate people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you know that CONECA is needed to educate people?

I am just going to post this auction. What a shame !!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-die-clash_W...QQcmdZViewItem
    1984 die clash

BJ Neff

PS - I forgot to add this one which is JUST AS BAD!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DISCOVERY-ER...QQcmdZViewItem
    NEW DISCOVERY ERROR, RPM 1997-D Jefferson Nickel D/D/D
    Last edited by wavysteps; 01-17-2008, 09:20 PM.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

OK, I'll bite. The 1984 cent appears, to my still untrained eye, to have a retained struck-through fragment from a die cap. Which seems odd to me. The frag is from the reverse. Don't caps come from the hammer die?

The 1997D Nickel, well, I don't even try to keep up with rpms, but were they still hand sinking the mint marks in 1997?

How'd I score?
    (Or, what'd I miss? Your choice.)

Comment

While it is possible to have struck through part of a die cap (when the die cap disintegrates and fails from the die), those parts are not clear. If you look at the date, you will see part of the 9, most of the 8 and a bit of the 4 through the obstruction.

The obstruction is more than likely clear epoxy glue.

The 1997D is not a RPM. The last mint mark to be placed into a working die was in 1989. After that date, all mint marks are placed into the masted die.

So, here we have one person that has spent $34.55 for a piece of glue attached to a cent and another who has spent $27.00 for a mint mark that has been damaged, more than likely, outside the MINT.

Education is the key and CONECA is the one to provide it.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

I missed the transparency?!? Duh! Of course glue. When I saw the date and such I was running questions like, "how does so much detail from the frag remain while so much detail from the strike co-exists?" Pictures can tell the truth and pictures can lie. Sometimes the trick is to see what the picture actually says. If I had paid proper attention I would have noticed the "84" seems to be much dirtier than the "I" (of America) in the frag, which screams transparent layer.

Do some more. I like these.

Comment

Working...
        X