Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gold eagle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gold eagle question

I was thinking of ordering a 2008 gold Eagle from Universal Coin and Bullion to give as a baby present. The coin will be NGC certified Gem Brilliant Uncirculated and in the sonically sealed holder.

1. Has anyone done business with this dealer?
    2. The is a baby present for people who are very wealthy and have EVERYTHING. I thought it might be a little different and memorable. Any comments on this choice, good or bad?
    3. Other recommendations for dealers?

Thanks
    Linda

Most coins encapsulated by NGC and /or PCGS are considered top tier in our hobby. However, I would make sure that a grade number is assigned to the encapsulated coin, such as MS-70, MS-69, etc. and just not a worded description.

As for the dealer; if you did a comprehensive search and found the lowest price encapsulated coin, considering the grade, that fits what you want, then go for it. With bullion coins, the price is fairly consistent from dealer to dealer (except the TV shows, which is one area to completely stay away from) and the only thing that can be saved is on shipping. It may be wise to visit local, well known coin shops in your area and see what they have.

As for a choice for a baby gift, can you adopt me! It is unique and will be a lasting memory for the child with an excellent potential of increasing in value.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ

Thanks for your response. I called the place advertised and the order taker said it did not have a grade! I really appreciate your advice. Since no good deed goes unpunished, make I ask another question? There are several $5.00 gold eagles graded MS70 Early Release on EBay. I haven't ever bought anything from EBay but I know people from this board have. Is it a good and safe place to make such a purchase?

As for adopting you, anytime! I live in the cold state of MA and notice you are warm in Florida sounds good to me.

Comment

MS-70 sounds excellent, however, I abhor the "early release" statement for it implies that the coin is special.

As for buying on E-bay, it has its hazards as well as advantages. Once again, the dealer is the focal point and their feedback score, plus number of sales is the key.

If I may suggest; do not just take into consideration 2008 gold pieces. An outstanding present would be a gold coin from 1908. It not only gifts the person with something of value, but also gives that person a piece of our history. The Coronet $5.00 piece or half eagle weighs in at almost 8.4 grams of goldand was lasted issued in 1908.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ

Thanks for the advice. I am buying 2008 as that is the year of his birth. I thought I could get him other "dated" coins, yearly proff sets or silver eagles for big years such as turning 18, 21, graduation and getting married etc. The gold coin I was going to buy was in the 120.00 range. I don't know about the cost of the coin you recommended but maybe it is something to consider as well!

Linda

Comment

Working...
          X