Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1906 IH cent variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1906 IH cent variety

I found a new IHC variety maybe 10 years ago and never got around to putting it out there (I am a full time professional chemist and I have an Internet family business). Several years ago I had it slabbed by SEGS and it came back 1906/1906 Doubled Date MS61 Cleaned (not by me) with no Snow, FS, or other attribution. I can't see the doubling in the 1 but the offset is very dramatic by the time it gets to the 6. I want to get recognition for this find. I have enjoyed error collecting for 40 years and am excited that I found something new. I contacted Snow many years ago and he suggested to send it to him, but I am nervous about doing this; the coin is special to me. It's not that I don't trust him, its that I am nervous about it being out of my possession and I want to protect my interests. I know I will be nervous every day it is gone; for me it is likely the peak of my error collecting career. What do you suggest to people like me? (Aside from calm down it is only a penny.) I wish there was a way to deliver it in person and have it attributed but I am too busy for most shows.

Rick Snow is a reliable fellow. He's returned the few coins I've sent to him. Just send it registered mail if you're nervous. If you provide us with a magnified photo, we may be able to confirm that it's a new die variety.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my find:
      The SIX:

The ZERO

The NINE

The ONE

Comment

Hi megarad - Looking at your die, this re-punched date it is very similar, if not the same as the RPD-001 listed in Kevin Flynn's book, "Treasure Hunting in the Flying Eagle amd Indian Cent Series".

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
          Hi megarad - Looking at your die, this re-punched date it is very similar, if not the same as the RPD-001 listed in Kevin Flynn's book, "Treasure Hunting in the Flying Eagle amd Indian Cent Series".

BJ Neff
          Oh, I assumed Snow's book had all the varieties. There are some features on this that make me think the 6 is triple-cut, but it didn't get viewed that way.

Comment

When it comes to files, it can be tricky. It is just like CONECA not listing some, or having all the doubled dies that John Wexler's files has. On top of that, Billy Crawford, Coppercoins and Ken Potter all maintain files that overlap each other and at times do not list doubled dies that others do.

By the way, excellent photos.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
            X