Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Oklahoma Extra Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Oklahoma Extra Leaves

Yeah, right. I found 10 of them in a roll today. Check them out:

Now, this is how it's supposed to look:

Here are the ones with the "Extra Leaves" (These are all different quarters):

Howdy,

I saw these over in another forum. Interesting die chips in spots of inherent weakness in the dies.

Thanks,
    Bill

Comment

I searched my first few rolls of OK quarters this weekend. I not only had 'extra leaves' - but a large extra feather.

I must say, I like the design. It is really a beautiful coin. But my rolls had more die chips than just about anything I've searched in recent memory. Just about every coin had chips and cracks in the "1907" date or in the flowers. And I found several with this whopper of a chip out of the wing area.
      Last edited by russellhome; 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Oh, hey Bill. Just thought I'd share these "errors" with these good people. I'm sure we all frequent all of the major coin forums, so we need to watch each other's back and prevent each other from getting ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by brefos77 View Post
          Oh, hey Bill. Just thought I'd share these "errors" with these good people. I'm sure we all frequent all of the major coin forums, so we need to watch each other's back and prevent each other from getting ripped off.
          I agree with you 100 %. This is a nice looking state quarter, however, I believe it will be plagued by numerous die cracks and chips. This will of course give us countless names for these errors and in the process will have some claiming that they are indeed an "extra" leaf or design element formed by a doubled die.

Thank you for your diligence.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

I didn't even bother to look on eBay before posting my "Extra Feathers" die break on the 2008 Oklahoma quarter. I thought I was just being funny. But I did look today and it turns out that two sellers are listing OK quarters with what they call "Extra Feathers". It appears that buyers are wise to these kinds of non-die varieties and they are not selling for much of a premium. I'm glad for that. There is way too much "junk" is being sold on eBay as it is.

But what did strike me as odd is how similar the die chips are between my coin (shown above) and those eBay listed coins. Near as I can tell, they are the same size, shape and location.

I see similar large die breaks on the 2005 OIV nickels all the time --and they tend to happen frequently in one location (at about 5 o'clock on the reverse). But the breaks tend to be very irregular from one die to another. Here is an example on an OIV nickel...

These OK 25c breaks in front of the wing look like carbon copies of each other.

So I guess that extra thick wing design puts an unanticipated high level of stress on that field area in front of the wing - resulting in a consistent die fracture in that area. I suppose this one of the pit-falls of changing designs every few weeks. By the time the mint figures out they have a problem, there is not much that can be done about it before the run is over. And this OK design seems to be one of those designs with a higher rate of problems.
            Last edited by russellhome; 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brefos77 View Post
              Yep...Thanks for showing them here too. It's always good to try to show things like this to as many folks as possible so that they can get a feel for what they are as opposed to what they are sometimes advertised to be:-)

Comment

Working...
              X