Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 SMS coinage????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 SMS coinage????

Hello, I’m looking for information if anyone could help.

1. Is the 1964 (so called) Special Mint Sets coinage considered “Varieties” or “Patterns”?

2. Has the U.S. Mint ever “officially” commented on the release of these 1964 SMS coinage?

3. Is there any “official” production numbers from the U.S. Mint on the amount of 1964 “Special Mint Sets” produced?

4. How does CONECA classify the coinage from the so called 1964 SMS?

Thank you for any assistance.

Actually, there was no 1964 "Special Mint Set", it started in 1965 and lasted for three years, till 1967.

The MINT produced these coins from specially polished dies created by high tonnage hubbing presses which made the coins produced by these dies "special". While not proofs, they were proof like with some even having "deep cameo" appearances. The MINT even printed a card that was included in these sets explaining the procedure used, so you can say that the MINT did make an "official " statement.

I would say that they are not a variety since the die is not different from the business strike, just polished more. That would also hold true for a "pattern" coin, they are not a different design.

For the production numbers, since I am away from home, I do not have that information available, however, the "Red Book" may give the number produced.

Since this is not a variety, CONECA does not classify it as such. However, if a variety is found on such, it is listed as SMS in the grade. See examples in CONECA listings: Lincoln cents; 1965, DDO-003; 1967, DDO-001 & 002; 1967, DDR-001.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Actually, I've heard that a small number of coins dated 1964 were apparently struck from dies that were polished in the same way as the SMS dies of 1965 - 1967. These were never official releases and presumably represent some kind of foul-up.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I had heard of this too, but I've never seen any of the coins first hand.

Comment

1964 SMS Coinage

See this PCGS article:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...universeid=313

Walt

Comment

Working...
          X