Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what causes this color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what causes this color?

I have seen several ebay ads lately in which the seller is bragging about the coins beautifull rainbow colours.What the heck is that about?Or they say somthing like mint lusture...well i just thought this one had been ruined by someone before i found it.
    Attached Files

Like many copper-plated zinc cents, this one has darkened with time and exposure to oxygen, humidity, and other environmental factors. Some like to use the euphemism "toning". Some coins tone pretty and others, like zinc cents and Sacagawea dollars, tone ugly.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I may add that your coin also has "Verdi Gris" (the green looking stuff). Since this is a broad-strike and has some worth over face value, you may want to try and remove the Verdi Gris before it spreads even further. Try dipping the coin into pure acetone (NOT nail polish remover for that has additives) and then taken a cotton swab to the affected areas. Stubborn spots may take a longer time to remove but this can be accomplished with a long (up to a year) bath in mineral oil.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

oh my ....its like my penny has ringworm or somthing.i always thought mineral oil changes the color too?

Comment

Do NOT use acetone on zinc cents. It makes any surface contamination turn green. Then you have to mechanically remove it with a toothpick. I have no experience with mineral oil.

Comment

Rainbow toned..

I was told there are a few kinds of toning like that.. Natural Toned,, Enviormental damage.. Or I have heard They can dipped with something.. I have of bunch shiney copper rainbows. Almost like proof.. A local dealer said enviormental Damage...... Then a Error-Variety expert told me they were natural.. They also came from the middle of rolls. vs. the end ones most likely are NOT natural.....Don't quote me. I'm not an expert. I was taught this....I could have been told wrong.

Comment

I haven't delved into the subject of toning with any depth or enthusiasm. I don't like toning, but sometimes it's unavoidable. And it's better than a coin that's been cleaned. Even toning is more attractive than blotchy or spotty toning. Rainbow toning is garish to my eyes, but some folks love it. It is possible to accelerate toning and that's referred to as artificial toning. I don't know if anyone is truly able to reliably distinguish between natural toning and artificial toning.

Comment

Here's a rainbow cent I found in change about a month ago.

Comment

Rainbow toned..

rainbow.jpg

Does this look like a rainbow toned to anyone ?? 1960 lincoln cent

Comment

lincoln cent toning

I find coins toned like this all the time while metal detecting in water. its caused by the variety of gases given off by decaying matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X