Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common are Die Chips on Roosevelt Dimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common are Die Chips on Roosevelt Dimes

I have found numerous Roosevelt Dimes with obverse die chips, mostly around the smile lines and eyebrows. How common are these? I found a 2006 P that has a die chip which starts at the top of the arch of the eyebrow and goes down to the corner of the eye, that looks like an elongated oval kite with tail. I do know of another descriptive word for this chip but will refrain from using it in mixed company. I also recently found a 2000 P Roosevelt Dime that has, what appears to me under a high power jeweler's eye, to be a 3rd fruit hanging downward on the branch from the second set of leaves on the right side of the left branch on the obverse. While it is not as large as the other two fruits it has pretty much the same shape with stem. It reminds me of the extra corn leafs on the Wisconsin Quarters. There is also another chip on the same dime on the right branch at the top of the branch between the middle and right leaf which looks as though it might have been the beginning of another acorn or leaf, it's rather flat though. Sorry at this time my computer, where I have my pics stored, is on the blink. Hopefully I can send pics at a later date when comp is restored to working order. Just wanted to see if either of these errors have been reported and if pics are posted?

Thanks,
    serching4coins

Tiny die chips and short, blind-ended die cracks are pretty common on Roosevelt dimes. In late die states, patches of die erosion can also develop and appear on the coin as irregular raised blobs.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
    X