Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-D-Triple-St...QQcmdZViewItem

This nickel looks too good to be true. The front looks fine....all but the way that the 2nd strike looks really flat. The REV is what's making me wonder if this isn't a fake. I'm still learning about errors so I would like it if ya'll could give me some pointers on such a coin..

Thanks
    ---Speedy

Speedy,
    I'm still learning too but I think I would say away from that one. Just doesn't look right. Especially the reverse. Looks like a squeeze job to me???? But like I said I'm new at this as well.
    Steven

Comment

It's real. The Denver Mint produced a bunch of nickels and dimes with this appearance between the years 1968 and 1974. You've got a normal first strike and two closely spaced off-center strikes that took place while the coin was positioned on top of a previously struck nickel. So you've got a double brockage on the reverse face.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Well,
        I learned something today. I guess this is why these forums and the people here are so good to refer to. A lot of knowledge to draw from prior to a questionable purchase could save a lot of money on a bad buy or affirm that it is as stated.
        I still have a lot of learning ahead I suppose.
        Steven

Comment

Thanks Mike! When I first saw the coin I thought of it maybe having a brockage but wasn't sure. The more I looked at it I guess I just seemed to think that it looked too good to be true. How much does something like this normally go for?

Thanks!
          ---Speedy

Comment

The last coin of this type that sold on eBay (double-struck but with a bigger second strike) sold for $300. I expect this one will sell for between $250 and $350. But it could go for more.

Comment

I was pretty much on target. It sold for $357.

Comment

Yep! You nailed it!!
                I thougth about bidding but I had my eye on another coin---as it turned out I lost the other one at 17sec
                ---Speedy

Comment

Working...
                X