Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994-D Extra Ear Lincoln Cent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994-D Extra Ear Lincoln Cent?

This 1994-D penny has either a hit mark on the earlobe, or, a genuine double ear--this one needs a microscope for study--maybe this should be mailed out for an in-hand look--even stumped an error seller recently at a coin show, and HE used a scope! The lobe just seems longer than it should be-did the hit push the metal perhaps?
    Calvin G.
    Attached Files

The lobe does seem to show some doubling, but I'll leave it to our resident variety experts to weigh in on whether it's a possible doubled die.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi,
      At first glance it might appear to be doubled like the 1997 Doubled Ear Lincoln cent and I wouldn't rule that out based upon the picture. Better pictures, at different angles and more close up than this one would help.

In looking at other 1994 era cents, and looking at yours, there is one major factor that leads me away from it being a Doubled Die such as would be on the 1997 cent.

That is that when you look at the entire earlobe on your coin as a whole, it is the proper size. The appearance of doubling on your coin seems to be caused by something inward of the outside edge of a normal earlobe. It could be a minute damage.

When the earlobe is doubled as is on the 1997 DDO cent, the doubling is to the outside of a normal earlobe making the earlobe appear larger than normal to the south west. On a doubled earlobe, we would expect the doubling to be to the outside of the lobe.

It may be an illusion to you that the earlobe appears bigger because it is natural to view the inside line as the outside edge of a normal earlobe and the outside line which actually lines up with the correct shape of the earlobe as something extra.

See if you can pop off a few more pictures and we can give you a better idea.

Thanks,
      Bill
      Last edited by foundinrolls; 05-11-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

When I looked at this late last night, I did think it had possibilities, however, a better picture is needed or in hand examination to confirm the doubling would be required.

I also look at one other factor; the 1994 Lincoln cent, with its two strong reverse doubled dies, is a very scrutinized coin. That fact makes me wonder why, if this is a doubled ear lobe, it has not been found in its 14 year existence?

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Hi BJ,

One needs to only consider a 1972 S DDO Lincoln cent business strike that I discovered 25 years after it was minted and then the 1982 DDR Lincoln cent that was recently discovered and it easy to think that other interesting coins may be discovered.

With so many people closely scrutinizing the reverses on 1994 era cents, they sometimes don't look at both sides of the coin the way we would:-)

How many people actually look a the reverse of a 1995 cent after they check for doubled dies. Only coin "nuts" like us do that:-)

Have Fun,

Bill ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by foundinrolls View Post
            Hi,
            At first glance it might appear to be doubled like the 1997 Doubled Ear Lincoln cent and I wouldn't rule that out based upon the picture. Better pictures, at different angles and more close up than this one would help.

In looking at other 1994 era cents, and looking at yours, there is one major factor that leads me away from it being a Doubled Die such as would be on the 1997 cent.

That is that when you look at the entire earlobe on your coin as a whole, it is the proper size. The appearance of doubling on your coin seems to be caused by something inward of the outside edge of a normal earlobe. It could be a minute damage.

When the earlobe is doubled as is on the 1997 DDO cent, the doubling is to the outside of a normal earlobe making the earlobe appear larger than normal to the south west. On a doubled earlobe, we would expect the doubling to be to the outside of the lobe.

It may be an illusion to you that the earlobe appears bigger because it is natural to view the inside line as the outside edge of a normal earlobe and the outside line which actually lines up with the correct shape of the earlobe as something extra.

See if you can pop off a few more pictures and we can give you a better idea.

Thanks,
            Bill
            Hi!

One can easily determine ear sizes' "difference" by taking photos (same mag) of it and another "normal" 1994-D penny; edit by lining up side by side and then enclosing with a "box" (or drawing straight lines across their tops and bottoms).

J

Comment

Bill - I do take that into consideration also. My recent finds include a 1915-D Lincoln cent DDO and the inverted mint mark on the 1946-S Lincoln cent. So there are discoveries out there just waiting to be found. However, I would think that a doubled die obverse would more likely be found on a 1994 Lincoln cent than a 1990, 1991 o a 1993 Lincoln cent.

BJ Neff
              Last edited by wavysteps; 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

BJ,

I agree completely. It would be more likely on a 1994 but like you, I never rule anything out:-)

Also, Congratulations on those discoveries. Have you posted pictures anywhere. If so I missed them and would really get a kick out of seeing them.

Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

Can do Bill.

This is the inverted 1946 S mint mark which was discovered in 2006. It is listed in CONECA files as 1946-S Lincoln cent, IMM-001 and to date, is the only Lincoln cent with an inverted mint

This is the 1915-D Lincoln cent, with "bar" under the L of LIBERTY which was found again in 2006. It is listed as DDO-001, Class VIII.

BJ Neff

Comment

Hi BJ,

Excellent Pictures, as always...

I now have something to compare to on the inverted mintmark.

On the L of LIBERTY on the 1915 D, do I also see a part of the L to the right of the upright portion of the letter?

It seems that down and to the right I am seeing what would be the top of the secondary L.

Great Coins!

Thanks,
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X