Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wyoming quarter DDR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyoming quarter DDR's

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Wyoming quarter DDR's?

I have searched E-bay and can't find any auctions listed. In my opinion these DDR's are the strongest double dies, of the single squeeze era, to date. Variety Vista shows 12 at this point and some are huge(6,8,10,11).

In fact it is hard for me to imagine that much movement taking place between the die and the hub.

thanks,

Hellgee

Okay, you have to remember that the single squeeze doubled die is different. There are two ways it can be accomplished; continuous (where the hubbing is done in just one stage) and non-continuous (where the hubbing is stopped, the die repositioned and then the hubbing continued).

Non-continuous hubbing leaves by far the furtherest spread between the secondary and primary images. This is because the movement of the die takes place without pressure being applied from the hub.

Take a look at how this extra columns (indicated by black arrows) are tilted 45 degrees from their relative position. You will also see a single extra column (indicated by white arrows) which actually makes this a tripled die. This is non-continuous hubbing where the die has been repositioned in respect to the hub after the initial "kiss" from the first hubbing. This is how you can have seemingly outrageous separations and offset in the single squeeze hubbing system.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Well, I for one like them. The design is not high on my list of State Quarter designs, but a good doubled die makes anything more interesting. The plain design does making the doubing very easy to spot. I've only seen one WY DDR listed on eBay. It wasn't a bad DDR, but it didn't sell at the starting bid of $3. I too am surprised that more have not appeared on eBay - particularly since they have been reported in the weekly coin magazines and on-line. I found that DDR-008 you mentioned -- and it is SMS from a Mint Set. It was bold enough that I was able to 'cherry pick' it from a seller photo on Ebay. I guess not to many people are even looking.

That's OK -- more for me to find!

Comment

Thanks BJ & Rus.

I may have lead BJ astray with my "hard to believe" comment. I was not questioning the fact that they are DDR's, it was more of a figure of speech used in trying to emphasize my point about the strength of the doubling.

BJ I know you have commented in the past about how we get slamed for looking for fly specks. I don't think anyone can rightfully refer to the WY DDR's as fly specks.

Comment

I think that you may have the wrong person in mind about the comment concerning "fly speck". I am interested in all DDOs / DDRs, however, I also realize that some constraints should be placed on what is listed and what is not. I am going through that problem at present with the die anomaly called trails (wavy steps). Each attributer has his or her point where they think that a die anomaly should be listed and that is great.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
          X