Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1993-Flat top numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993-Flat top numbers?

I'm pretty sure I see notching on 9's, especially second 9. What happened to make the tops of these #'s flat? There doesn't seem to be any damage that might have caused it.
    Thanks, Teryble
    Attached Files

The numbers are attenuated (thinned) due to intentional die abrasion ("die polishing"). The slightly flattish appearance may be due to machine doubling.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi Teryble - I have seen these strikes before that leave a narrowing of the letters and numerals and it may have ben caused by a weak strike or a struck through an obstruction. They are a fairly commion occurance on the Lincoln cent and would be considered a minor striking error.

As to the flattening of the numerals in certain areas; more than likely caused by a coin counting machine. When such a coin bears any mark that can be attributed to a coin counting machine (circular scrapes, gouges, flattening of design elements) it is typicaly refered to as "death by coin star".

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Here is an example of flat top letters…how can this be explained? This is from a 72S Kennedy half dollar…I find this condition on 1 of about every 50 I search. It shows up on the reverse, STATES OF AMERICA, see attached photos comparing normal to flat. I thought maybe it could be an unconfirmed reverse design variety.

Thank You,
        Larry Nienaber
        Attached Files
        Last edited by atrox001; 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I would guess that it's due to slight differences in the depth of polishing of the field after hubbing was completed. But I could be wrong.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
          X