Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1858 Flying Eagle- Die rotation error-Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 Flying Eagle- Die rotation error-Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

Check these pics please- its off- around 50 degrees using a protractor. if it was a clockwise error.

Its counter-clockwise error, but if you use a 360 degree chart, this would be around 145 degrees off- counter-clockwise-???

I'm all mixed up on this-What is it!

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

Did you flip the coin from left to right? If so, the reverse is rotated about 160 degrees clockwise relative to it's normal position.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
      Did you flip the coin from left to right? If so, the reverse is rotated about 160 degrees clockwise relative to it's normal position.

No- Mr Diamond I did not- I just turned it over -North/South, Top/Bottom etc.

What does that mean - Reverse is rotated 160 degrees clockwise to its normal position when its turned from left to right ?

Could you please tell me what degree this coin is actually off by and in what direction?

Thanks.

Comment

Since you flipped the coin north to south, the reverse is rotated only about 30 degrees counterclockwise relative to the obverse.

Comment

Since you flipped the coin north to south, the reverse is rotated only about 30 degrees counterclockwise relative to the obverse.

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused!

1.) Turning the coin from north to south, Reverse is 30 Degrees COUNTER-CLOCKWISE relative to the Obverse.

2.) Turning the coin left to right, its 160 degrees CLOCKWISE relative to normal position.

What is the actual VALID die rotation error for classification purposes.
          Is it 160 clockwise or 30 Counter-Clockwise?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

It's just 30 degrees counterclockwise, relative to the obverse face and relative to its normal position.

Comment

It's just 30 degrees counterclockwise, relative to the obverse face and relative to its normal position.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X