Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000P - 2005P Roosevelt Dime Die Chips, Extra Berry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000P - 2005P Roosevelt Dime Die Chips, Extra Berry

It's me again. I have something which seems a bit interesting to me. As you will notice from the Rev pics of these 2000P and 2005P Roosevelt Dimes, they both have the same die chips in exactly the same shape and place on the reverse in the top of the leaves on the right edge underneath the "AM" in AMERICA. Different years, same chips and placement? The 2000P also has an interesting Extra Berry on a stem, hanging downward from the middle set of leaves on the right side of the branch. The noticable line in the pic on the left side of the extra berry is the where the leaf joins onto the branch.

As you can also see from the 2005P Obv pic, there are a couple of very extensive die chips which run along Roosevelt's smile line and along the edge of his nostril. I have found a good number of Roosevelts with these chips but this one seems to be much more defined. Mike, what is your opinion of the two coins, especially the 2000P Extra Berry? Please tell me that this does indeed qualify as an Extra Berry? Thanks to everyone for viewing and voicing your opinions. Fran
    Attached Files

Hi Fran,
    I did locate all the objects that you refereed to.

As for the die chips under the AM; logically that would indicate a weakness in the design when transfered to the die or it can also be said that the design, since it is laid out that way, forms a weakness in that area of the die. We saw this in the Oklahoma state quarter, with the 'extra' petals and wings. A nice looking design (the Oklahoma quarter), however, its design layout made it prone to extensive die chipping. This also happens to a lesser extent in Bay # 1 of the Lincoln Memorial cent. That area has been prone to die weakness and for some reason has a tendency to chip out far more often than other areas.

The "extra" berry is in fact a die chip, so like the "extra" petals and "extra" wings it can be called that, however, for those who stay away from name die anomalies, it would be a die chip that resembles a berry.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks B.J. for your reply and your expertise. Have you personally seen a die chip in the form of a berry on the Roosevelt Dime before? Just curious as to how common or uncommon it might be? I know from my own finds that the Obverse of the Roosevelts have numerous chips in the facial area. While searching for the right pics for the coins in this post, I came across pics of an 1983P Roosevelt Dime that I have which has very thick devices and lettering on the entire reverse of the coin. I will post it seperately with pics and ask your opinion on it. Thank you!

Comment

Fran - To be honest with you, "no" I have not seen a die chip in the form of a berry on a Roosevelt dime. However, I have learned that die chips and die gouges are a great mimickers; we have seen the 1980 Lincoln cent D/S, the 1956 D with separate S mint mark and the 1956 with tilted 5 digit all debunked because they were die gouges/chips.

Even the experts are prone to mistakes and hopefully we do catch these early on. Case in point; we all attributed a 2000 Lincoln cent as a doubled die obverse, "extra beard", which turned out to be a die clash. However, some long time varieties have been overlooked; the case of the inverted ball serif mint mark. It was once claimed and found not to be true until an inverted ball serif mint mark was actually found. But it took quite a few years to correct that misnomer.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X