Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one for wavystep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one for wavystep

Hi there Mr. Neff:

I'm just curious of my 1992 D LMC, most of these coins exhibits wavy steps at the first up to the 3rd steps of the memorial, could these be classified as a variety.

Pardon me for not posting a picture but i'll work on it ASAP.

Thanks,

noel biscocho

Hi Noel - The vast majority of experts do consider these a variety die, however, there is a split among us where they are a stand alone variety or a doubled die. Both wavy steps and trails, which are one in the same. The only difference between the two is that wavy steps is isolated to just the Lincoln Memorial building's steps, while trails can occur on both obverse, reverse and other denominational coins.

With over 600 different dies cataloged, from 1982 to 2007, this maybe one of the most undervalued and less appreciated anomaly types of the coin error world. However, as more and more people find an example of this anomaly and marvel at the complexity of these dies, the more popular they become.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ…I just read your article in Vol 17 No1 of Error Scope, “Trails/Wavy Steps”; A New Die Variety, Explained. Has anyone thought of , or talked with, or worked with someone at one of the US Mints to use their equipment and resources to try and physically duplicate the Trails/Wavy Steps, and doubled dies?

Thank You
      Larry Nienaber

Comment

Hi Larry - I have approached the U.S. MINT, writing several letters to them and their response; "We are aware of these die markers and at this time, do not have plans to study how or when they occur".

So, we must use what we know and apply it to the mystery of these anomalies and hope that we have everything in order. It has taken me pretty close to four years of thought and work to try and figure out just what is happening and what you have read is what it all boils down to.

Thanks for reading that article.

BJ Neff

Comment

wavy steps

Hi there Mr. Neff:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I've read your articles on trails and wavy steps in the web very educational and lot of good pictures to use as my references in collecting this kind of variety.

Thanks,

noel biscocho

Comment

Noel - You may try the files that I have on the web. Look under links on this forum's main page, then educational sites; it is listed there.

Hopefully, by the end of this year, that site will be revamped and brought up to the over 600 dies that have been cataloged.

BJ Neff

Comment

Working...
            X