Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981P Jefferson Nickel Reverse Extra Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981P Jefferson Nickel Reverse Extra Metal

Found in loose change. The reverse of this Jefferson Nickel has a lump of raised metal over the building and also a spec of metal in the letter 'C' of
    America at the bottom. You can see the letter "I" in the name Monticello, showing through the metal in a little round circle.

Is this related to a die chip/break error or something totally different?

Thanks.

patc
    Attached Files
    My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts!

This almost looks like someone attempted to solder something onto this coin, and the additional metal may be the solder itself.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

1981 Jefferson Nickel

Thanks, I am giving this and several buffalo nickels away to the kids in my neighborhood.

I needed to know what it was, so that I can give them a real answer instead of a good guess.

Thank you.

Patc
      My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts!

Comment

It may have been an attempt to solder two coins together, as Bob alluded to.

Excellent thought on the give away to the neighborhood kids, I do hope that they appreciate your effort.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X