Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1909 VDB lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1909 VDB lincoln

I recently purchased a 1909 vdb cent on ebay, The coin arrived in very nice condition ms. How ever the color of the coin is somewhat unusual, it resembles a sac dollar or pesidential dollar in color, sort of a yellow brass. The weight on the coin is 3.195 or 3.20, diameter is correct, and the B crossbar of VDB has the slight downward angle. I think this is authentic, maybe not??? any input thank you. If you look at the left rim the color from god down to liberty is about the color
    Attached Files

Weights to vary somewhat either side of the mean (3.11 grams). I'd say it's still within acceptable tolerances. As to color, you'll find otherwise normal cents in an array of different colors. Color is a rather poor guide to composition. I'd say it's a normal cent.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Mike: Thank You, I wish the pictures would have turned out a little more color true.

Comment

Hi Guys,

With Mike mentioning that color is not a good indication to go by for composition brings a question to mind. How can you tell what the composition is? I don't have a scale to weight coins so I hope the answer isn't weight! Thanks Guys,

Lestrrr

Comment

Hi Lestrrr - with gram scales being fairly inexpensive, it is one tool for the error and variety collector not to be with out. Take a look on that great auction site and see what you can come up with; I think that you will be surprised at how cheap they are.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

A little more information.. I emailed Alan Herbert who writes for the numismatic news, as the "answerman" his sumation was that the coin was more than likely dipped with a cleaner called TrarnX, which will on copper coins bleed out the red tone on the surface. I'm glad I didn't pay much for the coin. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Tarn-X will leave a cent an unusual Orange like color.

I suspect that the coin was cleaned somehow as I see minute scratches in the picture showing the date. I also see fine scratches on the surface of the coin in the picture of the obverse.

Of course, if the picture was taken with the coin in a plastic holder, the scratches could simply be on the plastic.

If cleaned and retoned, anything is possible with color.

Thanks,
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X