Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incomplete Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomplete Eyes

I found this 2007-P Jefferson Nickel with incomplete eyes in pocket change. I would like to know if there has been any other errors like this reported and what it's value would be. I hope the pictures are sufficient for this purpose.

Hankster
    Attached Files

When part of a design element is partial or missing all the way, it is normally caused by a clogged die. Or it may have been caused by an over abraded die as well. In this case, it appears that it may be an abraded die that has caused some of the eye not to be transfered to the coin.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Hi,

This coin was definitely struck by a filled die. It is called a struck through grease error in this case as the coin was struck by a die that was clogged with grease. The evidence is seen in the last picture to the right. The surface of the fields are effected as are details of Jefferson's portrait and the word TRUST. This is a fairly common error type.

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

Incomplete eyes

Thank you all for your experienced insight on the cause of this error. I have a number of error coins that I am uncertain about and I will be posting them a few at time. This has been a unique learning experience for me. I do not know of anyone in the Hollywood, FL area that would be considered an expert that I could bring my coins to for confirmation of my diagnoses. This is an invaluable service for coin collectors like me who have only been involved in error coins for a couple of years, even though I've been a coin collector for a lot longer then that. I want you to know that I appreciate all your comments.

Hankster

Comment

A suggestion, since you are in Hollywood. In January of 2009, CONECA will be at the FUN show in Orlando where we do verbal attributions on error and variety coins. If you can, come on up and see us at that coin show.

We will also be at the Central Florida Coin Club show, in Orlando, that is in the beginning of Sept.

Also, if all goes well, CONECA will be at the summer 2009 FUN show in West Palm Beach.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
          X