Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westward Journey Nickel Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westward Journey Nickel Set

I purchased this set from a coin shop and the last two coins on the right seem to have a copper colored center with a regular finish boarder around it. What do you make of it? I know the picture is not very good. No matter how I manuvered the light or changed the angle of the coin holder the camera would not properly show the effect because of the glare of the plastic case.
    Attached Files

Probably an odd form of toning.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Unfortunately, odd toning is common in the 2005 WJ nickel sets. I should know, I've seen lots of them searching for DV nickels. Here is one of many examples I've found...

This one was slabbed by ANACS. It was not this way when I sent it in, but over time - the toning developed. This or something similar happened to dozens of 2005 nickels that I sent in to ANACS. I've also seen the toning on the coins while they are in the sets. Foggy proofs are a problem, too. In this particular example, I think the toning is kind of cool. But with other examples, the toning looks aweful.

ANACS received lots of complaints when untoned coins became toned after being slabbed. They brought the issue to the U.S. Mint - and I was told some 3rd party got involved to determine the source of the problem. Turns out, there was an oily film on many of the coins that they suspect is to blame for the color change. A simple bath in hot soapy water - rinse - then a few pats on a clean - lint-free cloth will remove most of it. I've done that on other 2005 SMS nickels before I've sent to ANACS and the toning problem did not reoccur.

BTW: Those WJ nickel sets are a good source for doubled dies. DDOs have been found in the SMS P mint nickels (both Bison and OIV). DDRs have been found in the P Ocean in View and S Ocean in view. For an idea of what to look for, check out the Variety Vista site put together by Dr. James Wiles. Here is the link...

http://www.varietyvista.com/split_image.htm

The 2005 5c DDR links are near the top in the "New" section. The 2005 5c DDO links are down in the nickel section.
      Last edited by russellhome; 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied, and I agree with Russell, I think the effect the toning provides is cool. My coins look exactly like the ones he posted.

Hankster

Comment

Working...
        X