Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008P J. Q. Adams dollar with trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008P J. Q. Adams dollar with trails

Although this is far from being one of the spectacular trail dies, it does have a few milestones.

It is the first recorded dollor coin with trails (others have been seen but never filed).

It is the first 2008 die that has been reported with a trails.

Trails can be seen from the flames of Liberty's torch and from the ES of STATES. The offset direction northeast. This is now in the trail files as 2008P-100DER-001T.

I would like to congratulate Mary Fantauzzo for this excellent find. Thanks Mary for your sharp eyes.

BJ Neff
    Last edited by wavysteps; 07-28-2008, 11:16 AM.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Again, thank you, BJ. And thanks for all your hard work on this subject. I'll be sure to let you know if I find any others.

Comment

I believe I found one very similar.

It has trails in same direction from the torch (north-east). Also, the letters ES of STATES show the trail.

I managed to find in among rolls distributed by the US Mint.

Very Cool. (be sure to double-click the smaller image for a larger view).

Thanks.

HK torch liberty J Q dollar.jpg
      Last edited by BIM Mania; 08-09-2008, 05:45 PM.
      CONECA Errorsope Editor

Comment

That sure does look like one. Nice find.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BIM - if you check the obverse, I'm sure you'll find that Ole Johnny Boy has a severe case of acne The several I've found all have the same markings.

Comment

This is def the case, MaryJF.

I was picking up those markers on the obverse and setting them aside to look closer at a later date. Then I started looking intently at the reverse face and 'wha-bam', there were the trails.

I've found several others, the degree of trails vary, some weaker, some stronger.

Thanks.
            CONECA Errorsope Editor

Comment

Working...
            X