Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lettered edge styles on Pres $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettered edge styles on Pres $

I've recently come upon 2 different letter styles with the Quincy dollar edges. A few show smaller and much thinner letters. Those whose letters are more deeply recessed and wider are greater in number. Perhaps this is simply a matter of adjustment on the lettering machine, but I am not certain.

Archives at NGC 'collector's society' mentions in one of their Pres dollar articles that partial lettering, when it occurs is due to the planchet being "fractionally" smaller" than normal. What I am looking at is full lettering, but thinner and smaller in design.

(click on thumbnail for larger view).

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    CONECA Errorsope Editor

I believe your conjecture is correct. For some reason, the spacing between the lettering die and roller was a bit too generous.

There ARE two styles of edge letters in Presidential dollars (I can't remember which presidents), but they look nothing like the difference seen in your two coins.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

At the end of the day, the count is 22 coins with the smaller, thinner edge letters, 228 coins with the larger, wider and more recessed edge letters. This comes from a 250 coin box from the mint.

Nothing earth shaking in the way of a major rarity/variety, but it was fun to make a day project out of it.

Jeff
      CONECA Errorsope Editor

Comment

i just looked through two rolls of andrew jacksons and came across the same thing only the "bold" lettering was less common than the thins, granted that was only two rolls, but i'd say about half of them had trails. i'm interested to hear what the verdict is between these lettering differences. could it be that just speaking of the lettering that these could be considered two individual varieties or are they being made by the same inscriber and the the fraction of difference in weight has something to do with it
        Jimmy Ehrhart
        previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

Comment

Working...
        X