Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1944-s ddo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1944-s ddo?

Hello again, here is another Mercury dime that puzzled me. I can make out a slice of the date to the east on all the digits in the date as well as similar doubling in most of the letters in LIBERTY. No reference in any of my books or on the CONECA variety list. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Attached Files

I do see what you are seeing, but overall, I don't see anything significant on the coin Scott. It looks like it might be some machine doubling. Sometimes, if you have to look that hard to see something, it might be over doing it. Mercury dimes have lots of nice varieties. Keep looking, and when you find something nice, it is normally not too difficult to pick it out. Good luck!
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Hello Bob. Thanks for your thoughts. It really jumped out at me with just 5x magnification. I know my camera work is pretty crummy so I took another shot of the date here for a second look.

Thanks again,
      Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scott,
        That is a much clearer picture, and it pretty much verifies that it is machine doubling rather than hub doubling. The 'flat, shelf-like' doubling looks pretty strong on that coin.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks! I'm still having difficulty recognizing one versus the other. Do you have any thoughts on the 1924 dime that I posted a couple of days ago (about 6 subjects down on the latest page)? The fact that the spacing gets wider between digits seems odd to me.

Thanks,
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X