Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide L,I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide L,I?

I found a 1969-D PENNY In A bank roll that has the word liberty spelled with a wide space between the L and the I e.g. (L IBERTY). There is also a widening of the letters E and R, the E slightly wider than the R. Moreover, there is a trailing line which moves diagonally from the horizontal line of the L southeast and ends up just beneath the I which is standing adjacent to the B.

What category, if any would this be sent under should it have merit to be worth sending? Anyone seen anything like this before??????

tHANKS

Is there any way you can post a picture? We could probably answer a lot of questions about it that way. As far as spacing between letters, they should be standard, but can look different by either die wear (which could make them look thicker), or die polishing or debris in the die which could affect only some letters and make them look thinner. The trailing line you mention could be a die scratch or gouge.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Wide L, I

I'm Not very talented with a computer, but I do have a digital camera and will give it a try. Many thanks for your interest.

Comment

Wide L.I

I managed to get a couple of photos on Of my1969-D Lincoln in Picasa2 software. Can someone inform me how I get the photos to the Die Variety forum? Do I use my email link or one of the icons above. Many thanks

Comment

Hi - The best way to do this is to go to the forums main page and look at the sub-forum links. Click on "helpful Hints" and you will find a section in there that should answer your questions.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Wide L..I

Sorry I have not been ab le to get the photos to you. I had trouble with both your recommendations, mainly because I could not get the web site to recognize my U/N and P/W. I asked to have themn changed, but they failed to include my new P/W; so I had to start over again.

I'll have to wait until my son comes to visit some time this week ( unless there is another method to get the piucture to the web site that I can try. When it comes to the computer I really have problems. Can I try email if so what is your email address "wavy steps" or "must be bob"?

The photos I managed to take are mediocre in focus.

Many thanks

Comment

Sure - just click on my name "wavysteps" and it will lead you to my address.

BJ Neff
              Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Wide L..IBERTY

REgret delay and picture quality. Thanks for your interest.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/IMG_0365.jpg
                http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/IMG_0371.jpg
                http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r.../IMG_03675.jpg
                Last edited by GKoehl; 09-07-2008, 07:13 PM. Reason: TYPO

Comment

I have little doubt that the coin damaged. The soft copper is easily pushed around.
                  Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Wide L..IBERTY

Many thanks for reviewing my terrible photos. I am a noivce, but I have the advantage of having the coin under my glass. It is difficult for me to believe damage as the only conclusion. You cannot see the widening of E and R as described in my first email (Aug 28) since it did not show up in the photo. I suspect we would have to have had more than one damage incident. to move the (I) adjacent to the B and the added width to the verticle E & R.

I will go back to my camera to try for clearer photos or perhaps mail it in for your inspection.

Best regards

Comment

It is impossible for a working die to have abnormal letter spacing like this. The working die is a 4th-level iteration of the master hub design, and the master hub will not have abnormal letter spacing. Thus it has to be damage of some sort.
                      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
                      X