Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Varieties in mint sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varieties in mint sets?

One of my areas of concentration, as far as searching is concerned, is circulated Washington clad quarters. I search a lot of them and they are difficult because so many are damaged and heavily worn. However I have found many nice doubled dies mainly in the early clad years.

Recent finds included 1970 d (DDR-001) and 1970 d (DDR-002). Both of these coins are listed in CONECA's variety master listings with the comment "Can be found in mint sets". They are also listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide with the comments "This variety has reportedly been found in Mint sets" and "This variety can be found in Mint sets".

My understanding is that other than the, special mint set years (65,66,67) and the "satin" mint set years starting in 2005, there is no distinction between coins released into circulation and coins put into mint sets. Comments such as those listed above do not mean that these varieties are "only" found in mint sets! The purpose of these comments being to inform the reader that some of these varieties have been found in mint sets.

When I first started searching and I saw a comment like "This variety can be found in mint sets" I would skip over it since I wasn't searching mint set coins. I did not realize that the comment did not mean that the variety was exclusively contained in mint sets.

The purpose of my post is to see if my understanding is correct and if so possibly save someone else from making the same mistake that I did.

Thank you,

Hellgee

Evidently the dies were used to produce normal business strikes after they struck coins for mint sets. That makes sense from the standpoint of economy and efficiency.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
    X