Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 P VA 25c Anomalies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 P VA 25c Anomalies

Searching state quarters, I always identify the center of the reverse design and check for possible doubling (Class 8 - tilted hub). Some designs have nothing going on at the center - and therefore have little chance of having class 8 doubled die varieties. But a few designs - having both field and high releif elements at the center -- are strong candidates for class 8 doubled dies.

The center of the design on the 2000 Virginia 25c is right where the corners of two sails and a mast post meet. This is one design I always check closely. A few years ago - I found a raised element between the sails near the center. I sent it to Crawford and he said it was most likely a die chip. Today I found another raised element between the sails. Again - it is probably a die chip. But being at the center of the design, I wonder if it might be a doubled portion of a sail.

Here is the one I found today...

Here is the normal design...

Here is the one I found a few years ago...

If class 8 doubled dies exist on the VA quarter reverse, it might just look like a die chip - and there may be no way to know for sure. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by russellhome; 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM.

The one Billy Crawford said was a die chip is exactly that. Since you showed that pic, it makes me believe that the newer anomaly might be a die crack that led to that chip. Can you check to see if both of those coins have the same markers? If they do, then I believe it is simply an earlier die state of the coin you sent Billy to look at.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

They are different dies (at least the obverses are). I couldn't find anything to compare on the reverse (that coin in the lower photo is pretty beat up) -- but the obverse of the coin shown at the top has clear markers that don't appear on the coin shown at the bottom. I do see what you see -- that top anomaly could very well be an earlier stage of a die chip like one shown at the bottom. I just don't think it is the case with this pair of quarters.

The coin shown at the top has more than just a die crack. The area above the dark line is raised. It most likely is another chip - but it is tough to tell for sure. Looks like that may be a weak spot on this Virginia design. Too bad it happens at the exact location you'd expect a DDR to occur.

Comment

I would tend to agree that it is a die crack on the top coin also. I tried to identify anything in the area around it that would show that shape, and without some substantial rotation, I just don't see it.
        Since I saw your pics yesterday, I went through about 400 P and D mint Virginia quarters to see if I could find anything in that area. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything on any of them.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
        X