Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaskan Quarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaskan Quarter

I just opened a bank roll of Alaskan Qurters & found this coin. What caused this. It is very symmetrical & part of it is repeated just to the right of the larger mark. The picture does not show it very well, so I also made a drawing of it. I'm just starting to learn a little bit about coins. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you ----Ike
    Attached Files

Would you believe it is a "bag" mark, or specifically one coin hitting another. That pattern is the reeding from the edge of one coin hitting into the other coin and leaving an impression of the reed.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thank you very much. It does look like that is the cause. Why would it repeat again exactly in line & to the left & also, the marks are very deep? Thanks a bunch. I will learn yet??

Comment

It probably happened by chance or coincidence. As to the strength, one mark had more kinetic energy applied.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks again for your help. I think I will keep it as a sample. It will always be woth a quarter. It just won't buy as much in the near future the way they are printing money. Ha, Ha

Comment

Hey welcome to the forum. Keeping samples for later reference will really help in learning about coins. You can find a wealth of info just reading through past post here.
            Jimmy Ehrhart
            previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

Comment

Working...
            X