Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 D dime-partial letter missing, first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 D dime-partial letter missing, first post

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across US coins with missing letters? I have a 1964 D Roosevelt dime, on the reverse or back side of the coin part of the "O" in One is missing. I first thought it might be a die crack or a filled die, just want to know a little more from the pros. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STARlight; 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM.

It appears to be post-strike damage.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Startlight

Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here.

I've also seen dimes with ejection doubling that shave off part of a letter. This could be responsible for what you see on your dime. When I was a rookie, I found this one in a 1963 proof set...

I thought I really found something - a Doubled Die (but was wrong). It is interesting - but not worth much.

Comment

So, is that what it's called ejection doubling.? I just thought It looked a bit odd and wanted an expert opinion....Thanks much for your help.

Comment

What is a post strike damage? Sorry I'm a newbie, does this happen after the minting process? Could you explain a little better?

Comment

Strike doubling, ejection doubling, mechanical doubling, etc. are all terms to describe a doubled look that appears on a coin that is not the result of a doubled die. In other words, the doubling is not on the die (the die has the normal image of the coin elements) -- but the doubled look occurs for various reasons just after a coin is struck. It is usually the result of a loose or chattering die. Extreme examples may carry a small premium -- but this form of doubling is pretty common and is often confused with true doubled dies (which can be very valuable).

As I said - I can't be sure from your photo exactly what caused that "O" to be shaved off. I added my photos because they show a similar "post strike" result. For reference, here is Ken Potters page that shows different types of doubling...

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/O...OfDoubling.htm

Hopefully this will help you learn what these hobby terms mean.

Comment

Thank you for the link, I understand a little more now, what to look for. The pictures helped alot, I will use this link whenever I have a doubt.

Comment

Working...
              X