Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 P Delaware 25c DDO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 P Delaware 25c DDO?

I've been working in over-drive with "State Quarter" rolls lately -- hoping to find another example of that 2001 P NC "Extra Hair" variety in better shape (or possibly the recently reported counter clash in the 1999 Delaware 25c). I haven't had any luck with these two, but I may have found a 1999 P Delaware DDO.

If it is a DDO, I don't know if it is a doubled earlobe or doubling from the curl to the north-east. Both are close and the doubling is light enough that both areas could be the cause.

I thought it might be a die clash -- but it does not seem to match up with reverse design elements that would clash in this area. Plus, there are no signs of a clash on the reverse.

P.S. If you have not tried searching state quarter rolls - you may want to give it a whirl. I've been finding something worth keeping about every 20 to 30 rolls. I do believe my bank is getting a little tired of me swapping out loose coins for rolls on a daily basis, though.

FYI: I submitted this one to Wexler. He determined that it is a DDO and it is now assigned WDDO-001. It is always fun to get #1.

Wexler told me that this submission prompted him to look at some 1999 quarters that he had put away years ago. In doing so, he found another new P mint Delaware DDO among them.

I guess nobody -- but nobody was looking seriously at the State Quarters for die varieties in the early years of the State Quarter program. For better or for worse, it took the Minnesota frenzy to get people to start looking. I wonder what else is out there?
    Last edited by russellhome; 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I think the searchers were more attuned to the "errors", such as missing clads, die chips, and such. The variety collector assumed that in these searches that the doubled dies were not being found. SURPRISE
      (LOL).

Congratulations on another nice find Ken and a # 1 to boot.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

When I was new to the hobby in 2005, I just assumed people were looking at the State Quarters for doubled dies. I didn't know any better. It took me some time to learn that few doubled dies existed in the clad quarter era. I've tried searching modern BU dime rolls. As far as DVs, there is virtually nothing there. Your best shot at something in dime rolls is some sort of error coin and those are very few and far between. Eventually, I gave up on dimes. Since searching new issue quarters was the same in the 70's, 80's, and 90's (i.e. lots of nothing to find) -- I guess it is understandable that nobody was into searching quarters when the State Quarter program started.

In a similar discussion with Wexler, he replied ... "Keep in mind that until late 2003 many were still convinced that doubled dies could no longer be produced because of the single-squeeze hubbing presses that were introduced in 1996 (Denver) and 1997 (Philadelphia). Folks just weren't looking at the newer coins for doubled dies until the wavy steps discoveries in late 2003."

So Wavysteps (aka BJ) - I guess "wavysteps" can take some of the credit for getting the ball rolling in searching modern coinage -- including all these recent State Quarter finds.
        Last edited by russellhome; 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

These are the possible doubled dies I found last week. I have finished going through 1999-2003. I will get to the rest of what I have this weekend. Not sure on a couple of them including the Louisiana one. The State and Mintmarks are on the photos. Let me know what you think.
          Attached Files
          Bob Piazza
          Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

They all look like they have do show promise of being a douybled die. The quarters seem to be following the same path as the cent concerning doubled dies and trails.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Bob

I found a 2001 P NC Dbld Earlobe tonight and went to check to see if it matched yours. Here is what I found...

Then I noticed that you said yours is a 'D' mint Dbld Earlobe! Really? I think that might be the first "Earlobe" DDO from the Denver mint. Great find (and obviously, not a match to the one I found)!
              Last edited by russellhome; 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

You are correct, My NC DDO is a D mint. I thought you had found a D mint DDO, but now that I look back on it, I guess it wasn't. I never did get to the rest of the State Quarter search this weekend. Maybe this coming weekend. Congrats on your finds...
                Bob Piazza
                Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
                X