Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982-P Small Date Zinc Lincol cent - Need your further comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982-P Small Date Zinc Lincol cent - Need your further comments

Hello to ALL again and Happy Happy Holidays!!!!
    We're back!!! We sure did miss you all!

Have located this 1982-P Small Date Zn Lincoln Cent (we misplaced due to Hurricane Ike disaster) which we originally posted last August with feedbacks to be potentially DDR.

Have re-reposted for your feedback if both DDO and DDR. Spreads and notchings can be observed in the digits and letters.

Have since been planning to submit this for CONECA Attribution but Ike struck us. Will submit upon receipt of your informative comments.

Thank you All again!

NVTE's
    Attached Files

I don't see any split serifs or furrowing of letters/numbers. In short, I see no evidence of a doubled die.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Missed to include this DDR(?) Image of 'STATE' in USA

Hello All,

Missed to include the attached image.

Thanks again!
      NVTE's
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the quick feedback. Will try to re-take clearer photos of if we see
        splits.

Thaks,
        NVTE's

Comment

I still see no evidence of a doubled die. The variety experts on this forum can certainly correct me if my untutored eye has missed something.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Like Mike says, I just do not see any evidence to support a doubled die. There does appear to be some sort of doubling and it is a form of machine doubling. This is seen as an indent on some of the lops of the letters, however, that is a rather common occurance and is somertimes confused with a doubled die.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Hello again and thanks, too BJ!

Have attached other angled/exposure shots to highlight what seem to be notchings. Can they be true doubled die notchings or otherwise?

Thanks for your further advice.
              NVTE's
              Attached Files

Comment

Man I am just not seeing what you are I guess. I see nothing that would lead me towards a DD.
                Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

I don't think this is a doubled die at all. The coin ihas so much die errosion extreme wear and there are signs of machine doubling and if you notice the notching exstends through the letters on the top.

I have to say i do see a form of notching but not like a doubled die would indicate ,they look more like splits or hits within in the top portions of the letters I also notice a split to the right of the R

I indicated that notching is exstending through the letter with red arrows and machine doubling

jazzcoins Joe
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jazzcoins; 12-27-2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jim.

Thanks, Joe for trying to help clarify what we thought to be true DD notchings. Being new, just learned a new term "splits" which you mentioned caused by machine which I think caused all our suspected DDO notchings; and some of our suspected DDR notchings (coupled with MDDs).

With above info, will go back and further re-look at our other suspected DDR (no more DDO) doublings in this coin; and may come back to ask your helpful
                    feedback again.

Thanks!
                    Us all NVTE's.

Comment

Hello ALL again. Just wanting to quickly follow-up...

Was able to retrieve our previous (August) post of this same coin (which we misplaced then recovered). This was affirmed to be true DDR with the attached photos of notchings.

Please help advice if a real potential DDR .

Thank you ALL!
                      NVTE's
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Novicetoerr View Post
                        Thanks Jim.

Thanks, Joe for trying to help clarify what we thought to be true DD notchings. Being new, just learned a new term "splits" which you mentioned caused by machine which I think caused all our suspected DDO notchings; and some of our suspected DDR notchings (coupled with MDDs).

With above info, will go back and further re-look at our other suspected DDR (no more DDO) doublings in this coin; and may come back to ask your helpful
                        feedback again.

Thanks!
                        Us all NVTE's.
                        I just want to clarify i didn't say the manchine doubling caused those splits and ther'es no such term as splits. I don't want to give you false terminolgy and confuse you.

What i was implying is the splits are going into the letters I don't no exactly what caused that, but they are not notches as i indicate, because you also have them on the rigth side of the letter R some kind of damage

I presume maybe from the servere die erossion but not quite sure, and as I said in my earlier post, not a doubled die. Glad I can help you

Jazzcoins Joe
                        Last edited by jazzcoins; 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks again.

Should I send for attribution to confirm whether both sides are DD or MDD or
                          otherwise?

Will await forum's advice. Thanks,
                          NVTEs

Comment

Working...
                          X