Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25 cent DDO ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 cent DDO ??

I picked this 1954 quarter from a local dealer the other day, it is unc, but I believe a late die stage , it shows extra thickness of IN GOD WE TRUST, and the first 1 and 9 of the date. I can see separation lines on the lower portion of the U and S of trust, and also the inside of the O and D of god, could it be DDO-02 listed in coneca. Also thru in the reverse of a 1935 lincoln cent with some clear gunk with a line on it, I've seen pieces of this type out gunk on other unc cents. what is it???
    Attached Files

Hi - Yes, your 1954 quarter does appear to have extra thickness on IGWT and it could possibly be one of the two DDOs for that year and mint. I would suggest that when taking pictures of coins to take them out of the flips. It does cut down on the glare from the plastic covering the coin.

As for the cent. It was a common practice a long while back to cover coins in a lacquer coating to protect the coin from environmental damage. It was questionable that this practice was effective since any small spot left opened by not having the lacquer on it would discolor. I believe that your cent at one time had this lacquer coating and that some of it is still present. Acetone should remove the rest of the lacquer, however, you are still going to have a two toned coin.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks for the reply BJ, I will send the coin to Mr Wiles for attribution, I have seen lacquered coins, that is not what this is, it has some thickness to it and is still attached it is the lighter area,the black line on the photo is in this material, and the material is pressed onto the coin. could it be production grease. I have seen small pieces of similar gunk on coins from original bank wrapped rolls.

Comment

The gunk on your cent is probably dried glue. It's certainly nothing that would be deposited during the minting process.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
          X