Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unkown 2008P Alaskan Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unkown 2008P Alaskan Reverse

This would be the second one I found like this. I really wish I could get better photos of it, but these are the best I am able to get. If I look at it under a 17x Loupe than I can see 8 very distinct claws.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Attached Files

Hi Digenes,

This looks interesting. I can't imagine die gouges/chips forming like that (shape)in those specific locations (multiple, between claws). Have you compared the size of the paw to other Alaskan quarters? Curious if this one is wider. Also, there looks to be a similar die chip in the N of land and is that a seperation line on the horizontal bar of the L of land?

I'm curious as to what the professionals say about this one. Possible DDR!

Lestrrr

Comment

It's intriguing. How about a closeup of a normal paw for comparison's sake?
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Here you go, I hope this photo is good enough of a normal claw.

Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

The paw has lost detail but that could be due to wear or die fatigue and can't really tell from the picture. This might need to be looked at in hand unless better pics can be taken. I'm not totally convinced by the additional claws detail either, they seem to be a little broken like chips. Once again, I'm just voicing my opinion and working on my diagnosing skills so I'll wait for Mike and the others.

I'm still curious about the horizontal bar of the L though. Can we see a closer pic of that?

Thanks,
          Lestrrr

Comment

The appearance is certainly different from a normal claw. However, the limited resolution of your photos makes it impossible for me to determine whether this is a doubled die, a series of inter-claw die chips, or something else. But it's certainly worth following up on. I, or one of our other experts here would be glad to examine it.

Comment

Well Mike,
              Just tell me who, where and how and will be happy to send either one or both of these quarters out. I have never done anything like this, as I am brand new to looking for errors. So you might say I am a virgin at this .

Dave

Comment

One will do. Contact me at mdia1@aol.com and I will give you my home address.

Comment

Email, sent. Thank you again.

Dave

Comment

These are die chips I have several Alaska quarters with die chips they seem to be very common on this coin in that area. I will try and pos a pic of mine if i can find it. I indicated in red the chips how they have spaces in between them a double die will not show like that
                    Jazzcoins Joe
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jazzcoins; 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Well here's one I found in circulation notice the die chips in between the claws of this Alaska quarter They are so common

Jazzcoins joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jazz,

Looks like you have a start to a die progression set! It's very interesting that the chips ended up where they did and having multiple chips. Have you found any other anomolies on your Alaskan quarters?

Lestrrr

Comment

I've located several of these 7 or 8-toed grizzlies on eBay. The clearest photographs indicate we are indeed dealing with die chips. Look at lot #220338712640.

Comment

Thanks Mike, Jazzcoins and everyone else.
                            I guess finding another one exactly the same as the first one, made my pee brain think it was something that it wasn't. Being new like I am, I guess finding two which seemed exactly the same made me think that it could not be die chips. But I will deferr to the experts on this and go with die chips. Boy can looking for errors really get confusing.

Thanks again everyone
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Digenes View Post
                              Thanks Mike, Jazzcoins and everyone else.
                              I guess finding another one exactly the same as the first one, made my pee brain think it was something that it wasn't. Being new like I am, I guess finding two which seemed exactly the same made me think that it could not be die chips. But I will deferr to the experts on this and go with die chips. Boy can looking for errors really get confusing.

Thanks again everyone
                              Dave
                              Well don't feel like that you will get the hang of it keep learning, when you have Mike around you could learn alot he's the guy to ask and learn from
                              Jazzcoins

Comment

Working...
                              X