Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New possible doubled die quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New possible doubled die quarters

Two possible doubled dies came under my scope during the 2009 FUN show and I thought that I would put the pictures on the CONECA forum to see what you folks may think of the possibilities.

The first is a 2000 Virginia quarter with a die anomaly behind Washington's ear. While this would be an odd place for a doubled die to occur, the anomaly does not have the characteristics of a die chip. This coin was found by Mike T.

The second is a 2008 New Mexico quarter which was found by John Miller. On the reverse die, there are two lines the look like they maybe from an attempted, aborted first hubbing.

This die seems similar to the other New Mexico double die that has been found.

While I am here. I would like to thank both Alan Herbert and Chuck Daughtrey for their great help in aiding Mark Lighterman and myself at the CONECA table. Their expertise and presence was greatly appreciated.

BJ Neff

PS - please excuse the rather poor quality of the photographs. They were taken with LED light and through cardboard flips.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Thanks for posting these BJ. I like that NM DDR with doubling in 2 locations. It looks to me like the doubling was to the south-east. That raised mark on the left side seems to included the intersection of the two lines to the north-west.

The VA quarter is a tougher call. It could very well be a DDO - but it is not obvious to me where the source of the doubling would come from. I did an overlay and it does not appear to be the result of a clash. In a regular clash, the area under and behind the ear would impact a raised element on the reverse die (a sail) - which means this area would be striking a void and not leave clash marks. This is probably the reason I have not found a VA clash in my quarter roll searching. It would have to be a very heavy clash for obvious marks to show up on a VA quarter. There is always the posiblity of a MAD clash, too -- but I moved the overlay around some and still could not see how that mark would be the result of a clash.

Comment

BJ:
      I would love to see the NM quarter. There is no doubt it is a DDR and needs to be listed in the CONECA files. If possible could you contact the owner on my behalf? The VA quarter is doubtful and will take a carefull examination to be determine.
      CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

thank you

thank you for looking at my New Mexico quarter
        I am sending it along with two other die variety coins today 1/22/09
        hope to hear from you soon
        John.

Comment

Hi John - Glad that I got a hold of you. Do me a favor and send your e-mail address to me through CONECAmembers@aol.com

Thanks,
          BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

new listing

just recieved my quarter back from Dr. James Wiles and the New Mexico Quarter is listed by him as
            NM DDR-002,2-R-VIII,stage A,EDS
            THANKYOU BJ and Dr Wiles.

Comment

Working...
            X