Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 P Nickel Doubling????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 P Nickel Doubling????

I am trying to get a handle on this. Some Machine Doubling gets me, thinking it might be Doubled Die. Not sure if this is one of those time, though I have a funny feeling it is. Looking at the US in TRUST.

Thanks
    Dave
    Attached Files

it certainly appears to me like mdd, the pics were not a very good indicater of flatness of the doubling or not
    Jimmy Ehrhart
    previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

Comment

With that much doubling you would see it on just about all of the perpheral design elements. It is machine doubling.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks again all. Every little bit of knowledge I am able to retain, helps me greatly. You all have been a wealth of knowledge so far, now it is just up to me to retain it and put it into pratcical use as I go along.

Dave

Comment

Hello ALL,

Just would like to confirm that neither raised metal nor notching can be ever present in ths MDD, right? This is one very strong baseline that we have in our quest of genuine DDs.

Thank you,
          NVTEs

Comment

Some forms of machine doubling push up a ridge of metal.
            Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks!
              Whick would make the metal raised and not shelf like? Would assume there is a distinct characteristic which will definitely indicate to be MDD.

Thanks!
              NVTEs

Comment

There are two forms of machine doubling, "push doubling" and "slide doubling". In push doubling the die "hops and drops". In other words, it hits the surface of the coin, bounces up, and lands lightly a second time in a slightly different position. This creates the marginal shelving. In slide doubling the die hits the surface and then slides laterally without any bounce. This drags the die through the newly-struck design, smearing it and piling metal up in a series of ridges.
                Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Working...
                  X