Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column Fluting lines questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column Fluting lines questions

Hello All, BJ,

To BJ... Got your address and mail will go out tomorrow.

Have questions as follows:

1. What is the longest or strongest fluting line listed/posted?
    Are they column specific?

2. Will a single column's fluting lines (column perimeter/internal design lines)
    traverse in only one direction or can cris-cross each others?

Thank you...NVTEs

The strongest wavy step die is 1999P-1DER-015WST and can be seen on the traildies.com site. This die affects the bottom stair of the memorial building and actually bows it toward the bottom.

While I have never seen dual directional lines in wavy steps, either in the stylobate or the stairs, it could be possible. However, due to the start position of these lines, it would be virtually impossible for them to cross each other.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thank you very much BJ.

That will help in our assessment whether we are seeing real tralis or just scratches/gouges. NVTE2 is assigned to quest for these trails.

NVTEs

Comment

Hi Guys - Well I had a look at your coin and this is what I have found.

At first I thought that it was a fluting line extension, for it did seem to have some of the characteristics. However, a different angled light source shows a bit different picture.

With the different angle of light, it became evident that it was an indent that caused the appearance of a fluting line extension. This is post mint damage.

It is a very honest mistake and there is no fault in what you saw. At times, even we, who think that we know everything are fooled.

I will send this coin back to you today guys.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thanks BJ for the correction.

You are correct about the angle/lighting of our cameras (actually we use 2
          identical camera microscopes). Difference in angle/lighting show different results particularly at close-ups. We will try to always correlate results at different angles before we post.

No need to mail back the coin.
          NVTEs

Comment

Thanks guys and keep on trying. One of these days you will hit on something big.

BJ Neff

Comment

Working...
            X