Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEXTUPLED(6X) DIE 'EPU' ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEXTUPLED(6X) DIE 'EPU' ???

Dear ALL,

Attached are photos of SEXTUPLED EPU showing notchings of serifs splits.
    Please let us know if genuine DD or MDD. We initially assess as genuine DD because of the notchings and serif separations. But we're not experts.

Please comment.
    Thank you.
    NVTEs
    Attached Files

Hi Novice,

Real quick note. Laquered coins tend to give the deception of doubling so be careful. I haven't looked at the coin close enough but I'll leave that to the experts.

Lestrrr

Comment

Thanks, Lestrrr, for the initial feedback.

For clarification...
      The coin isn't actually lacquered. Have just very lightly and carefully swiped the soiled surface with olive oil to clean, without completely drying/removing when photographed. The very thin layer of oil actually helped enhanced visibilities of the topographies (dips and humps) of the notchings and separations. Prior to swiping, the observed doubling only showed light spreads and notchings (without serifs separations at all) which we initially
      assessed as minor DD. But the ehancement revealed what we indicated
      as notchings/separation lines of 3 split serifs.

Again, we're not experts and only refer to the genuine DD premises when
      extra thickness, notchings-separation lines and split serifs are present.

Thnaks,
      NVTEs

Comment

I can't seem to determine anything from that picture. If you see three separation/ splits in the serifs then it wouldn't be a 6xdd. I would be very careful about "swiping" the surface, the surface can still be effected and if the coin turns out to really be something highly collectable and valuable diligent collectors will see that it has been cleaned or even wiped sometimes. I'll give it to you, even though many times you see more than meets the eye, you are very determined, keep working at it.
        Jimmy Ehrhart
        previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

Comment

Thank you again as always, 3cnicker.

We'll be careful. We only do the swiping if the coins are soiled.

NVTEs

Comment

Working...
          X