Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1969-S Lincoln Cent = Proof---DDO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969-S Lincoln Cent = Proof---DDO?

This 1969-S "Proof " Lincoln Cent came from the same group as the 68-S proof that I posted a couple days ago. They both have simular type doubling on the obverse lettering etc., and I can't find anything definate on it either. If anyone out there might have an opinion on it, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks, Louie
    Attached Files

Louie: Doubling is very similar to the 1968 S, I also could not find listing that would help you ,I would suggest contact James Wiles for attribution. Thats all I can say

Comment

This does not look like hub doubling, nor does it have the classic machine doubling look either. We all know that Proof coins are double struck and I wonder if there was a slight sift in between the strikes that caused this doubling.

Mike Diamond is more qualified to know if that is in fact a double struck Proof than I am and hopefully he will take a look at this post.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

The flat shadow outline of letters above GOD and TRUST is reminiscent of a double strike with slight movement of the obverse die between strikes. But the rounded doubling seen in the interior of the letters is peculiar. So I'm not quite sure what's going on.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

1969-S Lincoln Cent = Proof---DDO?

I want to thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it. Ithink I will contact Dr. Wiles and see if he will take a look at them, and attribute them one way or the other.

Louie

Comment

You will find it to be strike doubling. The big clue is the mint mark having the same look as the rest of the doubling. The mint marks during that time were struck into the die by hand. If the mint mark didn't have the doubling I would have a different opinion. You see this type of doubling on a lot on proof silver eagles.
            CONECA Member# N-4679
            President of the Racine Numismatic Society
            www.arsave.com/variety_resource_dimes

Comment

Working...
            X