Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to error collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to error collecting

I am new to error collecting and would like some information. When I opened a 1995P Lincoln cent bank roll, I found one coin that had a barely visible "I" in the motto, and the "95" are also barely visible. I have also come into possession of a 1999 Delaware quarter that reads "The First Stat" on the back. Finally, I also have a 1972 Lincoln cent, and the cardboard flip in marked "DDO #3". The quarter and the 1972 cent were my fathers.

What can anyone tell me about these coins.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

You are describing "struck through grease" errors. Pinpoint loss of elements caused by grease filling the corresponding design element are usually referred to as "filled die" errors. These sorts of errors are quite common and have little or no collector value.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

The 1972 Lincoln cent with "DDO-003" may indicate that it is a doubled die, in fact die # 3. What you should do is take a look over in Coppercoins and see if the coin matches their pictures. You should see a rather strrong hub doubling in the words LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST and the DATE.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thank you both for the information, I have just found another error in that bank roll of 1995 Lincolns. There is no rim on the coin above the motto, and there is also a crack that starts next to the "T" in the word "TRUST" that runs down through Lincolns hair and into his forehead.

Comment

Working...
        X