Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this look like?

Can I get an opinion on what this might be?
    Attached Files

What are we supposed to be focusing on? Right now I see nothing out of the ordinary.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

As Mike pointed out, we are not to sure what we are supposed to be looking at. One thing on the 1944 Lincoln cent; there is master die doubling on the two 4 digits that is very pronounced on early to mid die state coins. This doubling is seen on all 1944 Lincoln cent to some extent.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

new photo

Please take a look at the attached photo. I turned up the contrast to brighten up the mark that appears directly over the "D" mintmark. It looks like a full "s" to me. I wanted your opinion.
        Attached Files

Comment

This doesn't resemble any known overmintmark for this date. It's unlikely such an impressive variety would have escaped notice until now. I strongly suspect this is just a simulacrum -- an imperfection or area of discoloration that coincidentally resembles an S.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi,

That almost looks like a photoshop job.

The date and D are at an angle yet the "S" is flat, that doesn't seem to fit the picture.

It also seems that the S is in a circle that had a few attempts made to blend the edge of the circle into the rest of the picture.

It doesn't look right at all.

Thanks,
            Bill
            Last edited by foundinrolls; 02-22-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

RE: Bills answer

First off Bill to insinuate that I would doctor a photo and put it up for an opinion is Ludicrous, no its stupid on your part to accuse any one of that, because that is tantamount to calling me a lire! You better keep your day job because Colombo your not.
              The photo is the photo. Pontificate all you wish Bill, I have the coin and its real. Start looking at your 44d cents and maybe you"ll see a similar anomaly.

Thank you Mike Diamond for offering a reasonable answer.

Comment

You may have noticed that I did not accuse anyone of anything. This could have been , as seen many times, before a picture that was lifted from Ebay or elsewhere.

I merely commented on a photo that when blown up shows exactly what I said. I have no idea where the picture came from but you can see in the blowup that the "S" appears to be out of perspective, laying flat against the field while everything else is at an angle. Also visible is what appears to be a circular area around the "S".

So please reread my post.

"That almost looks like a photoshop job". That is accurate....

"The date and D are at an angle yet the "S" is flat, that doesn't seem to fit the picture". That is also accurate....

"It also seems that the S is in a circle that had a few attempts made to blend the edge of the circle into the rest of the picture". That is accurate....

"It doesn't look right at all". That is accurate....

I did not deserve your little rant and I was not "pontificating". I merely stated an opinion that was accurate based upon the image. Again, not knowing where the image came from, It is impossible for me to have called anyone a "liar".

I put the image up in a larger size.

Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X