Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lincoln Penny Die Variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Penny Die Variety

Over the last 20 years I have probably saved every Lincoln penny I have ever been given. I have gone so far as to buy rolls of the year I am interested in. Finding this web site has really sparked my interest again...and I am very excited to find so many new die varieties and new years that have been found to have new varieties!

I live in California so the pennies I am given in change have been mostly from the Denver Mint. In recent years I have noticed that the pennies I have been recieving for the years 2001 through 2008 have been just beautiful. The obverse side of the coin looks as though it has been cut out by a jeweler!

I have found where I have both the Type 1 and Type 2 reverse. I am not sure what I am asking here other then, are the coins I have the "norm" of what I will find in "pocket change"? I look at these coins and they are just as beautiful as the "uncirculated" examples I have in my "Mint Sets"

Any information you can give me on the Denver Die Variety and the difference from the Philadelphia Mint would be very much appreciated!!!
    Willies2nd

I am kind of curious to know what years you are referring to when you speak of a type 1 and type 2 Reverse. The business strikes with a type 2 reverse are known as the Wide AMs of 1998, 1999, and 2000. The type 2 is a proof style reverse. All the wide AM examples are on Philadelphia minted coins.
    You are correct in that the coins from 2001 to present seem to be sharply struck, and therefore pretty nice looking. You also need to know that billions of these coins were put into circulation, so the chances of finding some nice, clean looking coins is pretty good.
    As far as differences between the Philly and Denver minted coins, there really isn't any. I have noticed some subtle differences this year, such as the amount of detail seen on the coins, but I didn't notice that in any other year.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I guess you might say I am confused about the type 1 and the type 2 reverse. I am reading all the articles I can find. Eventually I will understand all that there is about the "Lincoln Penny" .

Thank you so much for answering my post.
      Sincerely,
      willieb2nd

Comment

Bob,

Are there different die Suppliers to our Mint sites?

Thanks, NVTE

Comment

I don't know who supplies the rods of die steel to the Mint. But the Mint makes its own dies.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

If die making is internal to the sites, and, for sure, use the same design and mfg, I'd assume there will be less likely any differences.

NVTE

Comment

Have one more question

Sorry, I am having trouble learning how to use the site...so I am using my orginial thread.

I have four 1999D Lincoln penny's I need someone to look at, please....they look as though they are from the same roll...the features go from weak to stronger on the obverse, same is true on the reverse with the exception of some of the letters looking as though they have been sanded down. .....please, I don't have a camera, so what is the procedure on mailing the coins? Sorry to be such a nuisance, however maybe by having you look at coins, I will know if I do have an "eye" for "error coin collecting"

Thank you for your help,
              Sincerely,
              WillieB2nd

Comment

Your coins were struck through lubricant. These "grease strikes" are quite common.
                Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
                X