Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986P LCM NEW DOUBLED EAR DISCOVERY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986P LCM NEW DOUBLED EAR DISCOVERY???

Hi again,

Can't wait any longer not to show this potentially new discovery of DOUBLED EAR VARIETY. This could be one of my finer finds (if confirmed), though this is not included on the types of exotic coin errors I collect.

Attached are photos at different angles and exposures.

Thanks,
    NVTE
    Attached Files

I see nothing of interest here.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I don't see anything either. Nothing looks like it is hub doubled at all.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thank you both again for your quick insights.

I have attached additional photos of other potential DDs in the obverse.
        Have also related them to what I thinlk I'm seeing as Doublings in the ear area.

Thanks, NVTE
        Attached Files

Comment

There's nothing here of any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
            There's nothing here of any interest.
            Mike, Thank you again.

One last iamge (the VERTICAL BAR) that would help me understand.
            Have attached photo of suspected origin.

Would respectfully request that you add, at least, for my minimum understanding, what you meant of no interest here. Are there doublings(but only mistaken for DD), or no doublings at all? I'm not trying to raise interest but just would like to help me understand.

Sincerely, NVTE
            Attached Files

Comment

The "vertical bar" is probably just the result of die deterioration. The comment "nothing of interest" encompasses imaginary doubling, minor die deterioration doubling, and minor machine doubling. Just trying to save time as you submit an endless string of all three and we've tired of responding with any specifics. Should you actually come up with a doubled die, we'll let you know. By now you should know what one looks like.

Comment

Mike, appreciate your clarification.

Is there a norm or defined boundary for minor and major DDs in the community of collectors? Not receving comments for minor DDs "may" lead to mis-interpretation of a non expert poster (like me), that I am erroneously mis-identifying a non-DD as DD.

Thanks, NVTE

Comment

I never said we wouldn't bother with minor doubled dies. There is no agreed-upon threshold between major and minor doubled dies. It's a subjective determination. I personally have no interest in minor doubled dies that cannot be seen with a 10x hand lens, but many variety hounds -- including some on this site -- do find them worth recording. I suppose even among variety hounds there is a threshold below which they lose interest. These would be ones so subtle they're only detectable on extremely high magnfication.

Comment

There is a very simple answer to the doubled dies. All dies made with multiple hubbing are doubled dies; the degree of doubling seen is dependent on the amount of magnification used. The amount of magnification that must be used is indirectly proportional to the collectors interest. Simply stated, doubling seeing without the add of any magnification ranks highest among variety collectors. As the magnification needed to see the doubling increase, the interest in that particular die decreases until you reach a threshold point where even though there is doubling, no one has any interest in it at all.

Since you have made your presence known on this forum, mostly all if not all of your post have been made concerning doubling (or other anomalies) of very little or no interest to the variety collector. While your persistence is admirable, you do not seem to want to grasp the significance of what has been said by many of the people who have answered your post.

My suggestion to you is to go out and buy any of the new 2009 series cent rolls and start looking through those. If your aim is to be noticed, searching through rolls of 2009 Lincoln cents will afford you the best chance of finding that significant doubled die that maybe a new find. It may also give you an insight to what a doubled die really is. Heaven knows, there are enough doubled dies to be found in the 2009 cents and with four sites documenting the dies, self attribution is made very easy.

Give it a try and hopefully, it will give you a new direction.

BJ Neff
                    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X