Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, with a question

Hello everyone, I just found this forum recently. I have been into coins since I was a child, and had a nice collection back then. My collection was stolen when I was in my teens though, and I never really jumped back on the horse to start collecting again. A friend of mine recently was given some coin albums that he had filled with his grandfather when he was a child. It resparked his interest in coins, and he then resparked mine. My kids have already taken an interest as well, and my oldest boy loves to spend hours with me going through bank rolls. Any hobby that you can do with your family is a great one if you ask me!

Now to the question, while going through rolls of pennies, one in particular jumped out at me, mainly because I am not sure what causes it to be the way it is. The upper right corner of the obverse, has a ridge, where the metal raises up. It runs through the letters, so assumed that it was a dent in the die, but I am not sure because the right side of the 9 on the date seems to be recessed into the ridge, as if the date was struck on in a 2nd strike (I always thought the date was put on with the strike that puts the design on). There is a mark on the left side of the coin too, but it just sort of looks like a scratch, but because of how well it follows the arc of the coin, I wasn't sure if it was something caused from the striking process or not.

I have attached a picture of the penny in question. The reverse is normal, and nothing is wierd about it.
    Attached Files

The ridge on the right is a product of die deterioration. The curved scratch on the left is the product of a coin-wrapping machine.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I figured the scratch was something like that, I see it on alot of pennies. With the die deterioration, is it a matter that the die becomes dented or something else?

Comment

The die is not dented. It slowly deforms and caves in. For some reason, zinc planchets are tough on dies. I suspect it's because of visco-elastic properties peculiar to zinc.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
        X