Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When taking photos of RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When taking photos of RPMs

This is just a suggestion. When taking pictures of a RPM in question, there should be at least two pictures. One should be a close up of the mint mark and the other should include the mint mark and also the date in full.

The actual position of the mint mark to the date is one of the key aids in determine which RPM it is. With the use of an overlay, most of the time an exact die number can be affixed to an unknown RPM using this method.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

the other should include the mint mark and also the date in full.
    Of course on such coins as Silver Washington quarters, Franklin Halves and the like this can't be done. I've found that in these cases most people will not believe you on an RPM unless they have the coin in hand. I have a coin that I along with some other collectors believe to have an unlisted RPM. I sent my finding to a well known variety dealer and writer (Who I don't think is on this forum) who pretty much laughed at me and told me to wait to grow up. (I'm 18)

So in a case such as this....what do you suggest?
    ---Speedy

Comment

Since the mintmark was punched into each individual working die by hand (until 1990), having the context helps to identify the die. So when photographing a mintmark variety show the surrounding design elements.

For Franklin Halves it is the top of the bell holder.

For 64 Kennedy Halves it is the eagle leg & stars.

For Washington Quarters it is ER of QUARTER.

For Roosevelt Dimes prior to 1968 it is the left side of the torch.

For Roosevelt Dimes after 1968 it is the date.

For war nickels it is the BU of PLURIBUS.

For Jefferson Nickels prior to 1968 it is the building base.

For Jefferson Nickels after 1968 it is the queue/ribbon.

For Lincoln Cents it is the date.

Thanks,

James Wiles
      CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Hi Speedy - Age should not make a difference in what you find. Gabe Alanso was I believe 16 years old when he found the 2004 Peace nickel doubled die. In response to what you should do in a situation such as that, you find another attributer who is a bit more understanding of the circumstances and we do have the best in Dr. Wiles.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ,

I've been getting some items together and hope to maybe make connections with Mr Wiles! He may not remember but I sent him a coin a few months back and he viewed it for me.
          One reason I haven't been able to get many of these coins in hand is that the "variety" is one a harder date, and in most cases when I find the "variety" it is on a high grade and I just haven't been able to afford to buy them. I have found a few of the coins in AU and have bought one and my eye on one more!

I'll also try to get some photos and see what ya'll think! I think Mike viewed the coin in person and his suggestion was also to send it to Mr Wiles!

Mr Wiles,
          Thanks for posting that list....I'm going to save that so I can find it again when needed!

Spencer
          ---Speedy

Comment

Working...
          X