Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Die Chip,Cud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Die Chip,Cud?

I bought 6 Uncirculated Strings & Son bank rolls of 2007 D Lincoln Memorial Cents from my bank 3 or 4 weeks back and while searching the rolls, I found 5 error coins, basically identical, with what I call die cuds, that may actually be considered die chips because of their location. I have searched for 2007 Lincoln Memorial Cent Die Errors but, have been unable to find anything on the 2007 Cent. As you can see from the pics, the extra chunk of metal is between the 1st and 2nd columns (to the left) top portion. The metal is horseshoe shape and has multiple grooves, like the columns that follows the shape of the cud/chip. The cud/chip stands a little above the column rims, and is about half the length of the columns. Has anyone seen a coin with this error before or perhaps have any useful information about this type of error? Please see attached pics (too much reflection to get a good pic). Again... thanks for your input.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by searching4errors; 11-03-2007, 05:20 PM.

2007 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Die Chip,Cud?

I have uploaded another pic that should define the cud/chip better. Maybe the new pic will make it a bit easier to tell what actually happened to cause the cud/chip. Thanks again for any info provided.
    Fran
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a nice size die chip. When referring to "cud" it is usually a die break that occurs on the rim inward.

While this size die chip is not overly common, it does seem to happen often and in the same spot. This may be accounted for by a weakness in the design impressed on the die by the hub.

As far as value goes, I do believe that it has some over face and it will be of some interest to those who do collect die breaks.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks once again, BJ, for your reply and for sharing your knowledge with me.

I had referred to the chip as horseshoe shaped but, upon closer inspection, it kind of looks like a pecan that is breaking out of its shell as it ripens. When you say "While this size die chip is not overly common, it does seem to happen often and in the same spot." do you mean on Lincoln Cents in general or on a particular date? I am excited that it might be worth a little more than face value. It was a pleasant surprise finding them.
        Cheers!
        Fran

Comment

Hi Fran - I should have made my thoughts a bit clearer. I have seen that die chip on different dated Lincoln cents and in the same spot, between column # 1 and 2. In the wavy step / trail die files, 2005P-1DER-010WS (a Lincoln cent wavy step variety) has that size die chip in the same location.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
          X