Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1826 coronet lg cent error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1826 coronet lg cent error?

IMG_0354_1.jpg

IMG_0359_1.jpghey there! Im new to coin collecting and new(just joined) to Coneca... I have this 1826 coronet lg cent, think its an error but just dont know for sure,,, Let me know what you guys think,,, ;0)

another pic

IMG_0371.jpg took another pic of this coin, trying to get a more "Clear" pic,,, It sure looks like an error, sent it to ANACS, they sent it back in a bodybag saying: "Damaged outside the Mint. Not an error or other variety" I can understand on the obverse side, or the edge being damaged..... any response would be greatly appreciated
    LeeAnn

Comment

Hi LeeAnn - Let me see if I can answer your question.

When working with strike related errors, the one thing to remember is that what happens on the obverse, must happen on the reverse or visa-versa. With the coin that you presented in this post, we see a rotated, off center second strike on the reverse. However, the obverse has no evidence of a second strike. What this means is that the coin has been damaged outside the mint.

More than likely it was accomplished with a "soft die" (one that was copied from a similar coin) and applied to this coin. This technique has been around for awhile and has fooled many a novice. Even now, you will see these type "errors" on Ebay.

I hope that this answers your question.

Thanks,
      BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

so, let me get this straight,,, its a copy of a copy? or am i totally confused.. lol ;0) please bare with me..

Comment

No, actually the copying device is the soft die that was made outside the mint. That is what struck the secondary image (the soft die), probably inside someones garge.

BJ Neff
          Last edited by wavysteps; 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

hhhmmm learn something new everyday, but why would someone want to screw up a perfectly good coin? thank you so much for educating me ;0)

Comment

The reason behind such "garage jobs" is to fool the uneducated into believing that it is worth more. That is one of the main reasons behind CONECA, Coppercoins, NCADD and sites that further the education of the numismatic community. We are here to help people know what is real and what is not.

CONECA has the top experts in the field of errors and varieties and they all drop in this forum just to see what is up. It is the same with Coppercoins, maintained and directed bu Chuck Daughtrey, with the very capable assistance of Bob Piazza, which deals in strictly copper issued coins.

While NCADD does not have a reference site, John Wexler and Brian Ribar are also tops in the field and are always willing to answer questions.

Another satellite site is Variety Vista, maintained by James Wiles, CONECA's top attributer and, of course, a very interesting site.

All these sites can be found in the "LINKS" section of this forum and they cover a wide array of coin types, errors and varieties. It is worth your while to look.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thank you so much for your help,,, Im learning so much and enjoying every minute of it!
                thanks again
                LeeAnn

Comment

Working...
                X