Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mostly unstamped quarter back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly unstamped quarter back

I found this quarter in my spare change cup. All I can tell is that it is a 2001 North Carolina. Could this be a mint error? It seems to be as thin as a dime. I am not into collecting coins but this peaked my curiousity. Does anyone have any Ideas about it?
    Attached Files

The reverse face was removed by a lathe or milling machine. It's not an error.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Do you really think so? I thought the grain comming from the center of the coin looked almost seemless. Any how it gave me something to read about for the last couple of days.
      Thanks for the info I thought I might of found something.

Comment

I looked it over more cloesley and there is a lip on the outer rim of the coin. I don,t know much about the minting proccess but I would assume the outer rim is pressed on. Which to me would mean they wouldnt of been able to press on the patter with the lip there.
        Sorry I dont know the proper terminology.

Thanks again.

Comment

This is often one of the phases in the creation of what we call "Magician's Coins". A coin is milled to fit inside a hollowed out piece made of another coin. As a novelty item two obverses or two reverses would be paired together.

This could be one half of a "magician's coin" or it could be someone simply playing around with some milling equipment as was suggested in other replies.

Comment

Working...
          X