Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960-P Jefferson Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960-P Jefferson Question

Hi All... First off I'm new to CONECA and this is my first attempt at posting. Being new to all of this, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible. Part of my learning process is trying to properly identify why a coin that I may be looking at is "strange and/or different" than the norm. That is why I'm making this first post. While I have collected coins for many years (since the late 50's), I have never dabbled much with errors and varieties. Now I'm really starting to get into it, so I'm glad to have found CONECA and it's great tools, such as this site. Recently I pulled out a roll of 1960-P Jeffersons that I had put away some time ago. In looking at them "close up" (which I had never done before), I noticed a couple of the afore mentioned "strange and/or different" ones. Since many well trained eyes have no doubt gone over thousands of 1960-P nickels, I'm not expecting that these are anything much out of the ordinary, but I would like to know what exactly I'm looking at, and what most likely caused it. I'm going to attempt to attach a couple of photos. What I'm seeing is what looks to be a sort of outline (maybe doubling) of Jefferson's profile along with several letters. The photos are of the tip of Jefferson's nose, and the "RT" in Liberty.
    Thanks... Dave (goat3537)
    Attached Files

You're looking at die deterioration. -- Mike Diamond
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike

Thank you for the quick reply. I can only say that I'm overwhelmed by your wealth of knowledge. We are lucky to have such an asset as yourself to answer our questions. You are a very patient man to field what probably should be oblivious to us novices, but rest assured that it is so very helpful in helping me in my "learning curve". I can only hope that someday I can have a fraction of the insight you have,

Comment

Working...
      X