Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High priced Lincoln cent DDOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High priced Lincoln cent DDOs

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-1c-Major-DD...QQcmdZViewItem
    2006 1c Major DDO 3-O-IV+VIII CDDO-028 WDDO-032 Big One

I was one of the first to see this die, courtesy of Robert Tingle and to date, very few have been found. This die was actually found in the beginning of 2007 and may have been one of the last obverse dies used for the Lincoln cent mintage of 2006.

For those of you living in the bottom half of Ohio and the upper part of Kentucky, this gem may very well be in your pocket change.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-1c-Major-DD...QQcmdZViewItem
    2006 1c Major DDO 3-O-IV+VIII CDDO-028 WDDO-032 Big One

I was one of the first to see this die, courtesy of Robert Tingle and to date, very few have been found. This die was actually found in the beginning of 2007 and may have been one of the last obverse dies used for the Lincoln cent mintage of 2006.

For those of you living in the bottom half of Ohio and the upper part of Kentucky, this gem may very well be in your pocket change.

BJ Neff
    Dang you need an "Electron Microscope" to see that. Don't you think my proof error/varieties are more dramtic and rarer than that?

Comment

2006 P DDO Lincoln

They may be expensive, however my feelings are, that they are well worth the cost. I have both the Stage A (EDS) and the Stage B. Just for everyones info log on to E-bay and go to search sellers and type in Murphyaln (Murphy Variety Coins). He has a Stage B up for bid. Hope this might help someone who is looking for a nice 2006-P DDO of this variey. They are hard to locate.

Comment

I have been tracking this die from the very beginning. Through all sources that I know, there have been between 19-23 reported. Almost all have been found in Indiana. No one knows how many were struck, but we can certainly assume there were more than the 23 I have tracked and also based on the Stage B specimen with the die crack in the head. Until someone finds and reports a bunch of them, we can assume that they are extrememly scarce, and should command a premium based on the strength and class of the doubling. In my mind, this is the best Lincoln Cent variety discovery since the 1995 doubled dies.

Bob Piazza
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

That really is a nice one. What I can't get over is how many different doubled die varieties there are for 2006 cents- although most are of course minor it's really incredible.

Comment

Also on the subject, anyone see this auction claiming to be the same variety:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-P-CENT-Doub...QQcmdZViewItem

yet LIBERTY doesn't appear to have any doubling at all!

Comment

AgCollector has sharp eyes and the reason that there is minimal doubling on LIBERTY may be confusion as to what this seller has.

What this die MAY be is 2006P-1DER-003WS; Coppercoins 2006P-1DR-001 and Wexler's, WDDR-002. John is the only one to recognize a minor doubling on LIBERTY (see top picture) where there is extra thickness on the left arm of the Y and slight rotation on Lincoln's mounth (see middle picture)

This coin also sports a moderate wavy step die (see bottom picture) and thus the two reverse die numbers.

This is not the big one or even a close second and goes to show that education and attributing a die correctly are important tools when dealing with variety and error coins.

Yes, 2006 has been an exceptional year for the double dies, giving us a smörgĺsbord of varied dies to look for.

Bob P. has made a very accurate statement (referring to CONECA 2006, DDO-003; Coppercoins 2006P-1DO-017) and has been with this die since the beginning also. While there have been may doubled dies since the 1995 Lincoln cent bunch (from both Denver and Philadelphia mints all though they were all made at Philadelphia die shop), this may be the finest single squeeze doubled die to date. We must remember that the 1995 doubled dies may have been created using the multiple hubbing system.

As for the price that this die attained, it is not that surprising or an over reach of money spent. For those who have seen this die in hand, I think that they we all agree it was a very fair auction price and for those of us who are luck to have one .........well!!!!!!

BJ Neff
              Last edited by wavysteps; 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM.

Comment

That must be one of "Rita's creations" . Did you see her feedback?

Comment

has anyone found any with die crack skull??

Comment

If you are referring to 2006 Lincoln cent, DDO-003, yes they have. A die crack formed early (EDS) on the forehead of Lincoln and this may be one of the causes why few have been found; the die may have had a short life due to that die crack. However, that is just conjecture on my part.

BJ Neff

Comment

Originally posted by Car10 View Post
                      That must be one of "Rita's creations" . Did you see her feedback?
                      Anyone else get a private message from "rita" starting with

that be me ! my name is Daryl and i know alot of us out there dont believe I COULD HAVE THIS VARIETY! why NOT? the pic in my listing are not the best but all markers (EDS) match to coppercoins and some they dont have!
                      if i only had a 50 times loop to show the doubling!
                      If only he knew that you don't need a 50x loupe to see the doubling on the true specimen (CONECA 3-O-IV+VIII).

Comment

AgCollector - Sure did and what it all comes down to is that he thinks he has the major 2006 Lincoln cent doubled die. From the pictures that he posted in his auction, it does not appear to be so.

If he had the 2006 Lincoln cent die attributed by, James Wiles or John Wexler or Bob Piazza or Chuck Daughtrey or Billy Crawford or what the heck, even me and it was 2006 Lincoln cent, DDO-003, then I would say, "yes" they can be found in Florida. However, until that time, I'll stick with my first opinion and say that they are not the doubled die stated.

BJ Neff

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
                          If you are referring to 2006 Lincoln cent, DDO-003, yes they have. A die crack formed early (EDS) on the forehead of Lincoln and this may be one of the causes why few have been found; the die may have had a short life due to that die crack. However, that is just conjecture on my part.

BJ Neff
                          Dear Mr. Neff I am a new member of this post I have no Idea what I am doing please bear with me. I have found a couple 2006 Lincoln cent DDo with die cracks on the back of the skull. . How long would a die last after a major crack started, and would the mint try to repair it or toss it?

Neal

Comment

Hi Neal and welcome to the forum.

Okay, to your question. When looking at die cracks, it mostly depends on what decade the coin is that your looking at. In the 1950's, the MINT seemed to use the obverse die until it almost fell apart and the result was massive die cracks on the head of Lincoln. The same can be said for the early 1980's when the reverse dies were used very late in the game which lead to large quantities of die cracks on those dies, especially in the year 1983.

Hop to the present and we still see die cracks forming on both the reverse and obverse dies. For some odd reason, the MINT will replace a obverse die with a defect on it faster than they will a reverse die. As far as how long a die will last when it develops a die crack is up to just how brittle that die is. When a die is new, it has less tendencies to form or continue a die crack. As the die ages, it becomes more brittle and the tendency to form die cracks increases and so to the chance of that crack spreading faster.

The press operator will periodically check the coins coming from the machine, to see what the condition the dies are in If he see some defect on the coin associated with the die and feels that the die is in need of replacement due to that defect, then that die is replaced and not used agin.

The MINT does not repair dies, it is not cost productive and it is hard to work tempered steel, which the die is made from.

I hope that this answers your questions and if you have more, please feel free to post them; that is what we are here for.

BJ Neff
                            Last edited by wavysteps; 04-29-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Not wanting to harp on an old story, I just wanted to update numbers for the 2006P 'Big one" or CONECA DDO-003 (coppercoins 2006P-1DO-017). I have been sent a few coins claiming to be this die for attribution, and none of them were remotely close to being the actual die. In addition, it seems an individual may be trying to buy up as many of these as possible. As of the present, the numbers are still what I reported back in October. Between Murph and myself, we have it at 20 specimens, with 3/4 of them being the stage B (die crack) variety. Once again, there have been no reports of them being found outside of the Indiana (and 1 in Pennsylvania) areas. It should be noted that as coins circulate, they tend to spread out a bit, and it may be possible to pick one up about anywhere.
                              If you are lucky enough to have one or more of these coins, I think you should hold onto it. It has been over a year since they were first reported, and yet the numbers remain the same. Very scarce to rare would still be my personal assumption.
                              Bob Piazza
                              Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
                              X