Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1971-S Proof Ike Dollar A Work In Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971-S Proof Ike Dollar A Work In Progress

I love doing these Ikes, so lets get it started .

I know that the obverse is Hub 3 .

IDDDO Hub 3 - already doubled working hub -high relief Proof ( Tripled - Full & Peg Leg R in Liberty ) Class II on IN GOD WE TRUST. Early die stage B will show nice tripling on the bottom right serif of the first T in trust. See larger picture below.
    NOTE: All doubling may not show due to weak strike, tilted strikes, grease, die abrasion-polishing or wear.

The last letter P stands for peg-leg abraded R in liberty and S for full serif R in liberty.

IDDDO-WH-3

Master Die.

The Reverse is Hub 8 .

IDDDR high relief 40% PF Hub 8 - already doubled working hub - Early stage A & B and die state EDS & EMDS show doubling both ways on most letters. CCW spread in the form of split serif's on the upper left and lower right serif's of UNITED depending on die stage and state. CW spread in the form of split serifs seen on the lower left serifs of TATE of STATES and AMERICA. Stage B: Show AMERICA with split serifs on both lower left and right serifs "a shift to the center" on E PLURIBUS UNUM in the form of split serifs. Stars 3-13. FG & leaf below. Bottom right serifs of the NE of ONE. Early Stage B have both left and right lower serifs with split serifs. DLAR of DOLLAR have split serifs on the lower left serifs. First L of DOLLAR has split serif's on the upper right and the lower right, the second L of DOLLAR has split serif's on all three serif's. Stage C: Show split serif's on the tips of LL of DOLLAR. Stage D: Shows only the left serif of the N in ONE.

IDDDR-Master.

So lets start the journey on IDDD site .
    I checked all the images on the site and couldn't match anything to my coin . There are DDOs without images so that my best bet .Since I know it's from Hub 3 ( Obverse ) I'll check for a working die off of Hub 3 ( Obverse ) .

I matched the Obverse to this working die ( DDO-128 ) .

Next thing I have to do is match Hub 3 ( Obverse ) to Hub 8
    ( Reverse ) which shouldn't be hard, because I know it's none of the ones with images ...

Ok, all figured out and it's IDDDO-130 .
    I'll get some images up shortly for the Reverse .

1971 S Silver PF Obverse
    New Coin: IDDDO-130 71-S PF WD-J IDDDR-WH-8 IDDP-119

Cross Reference:

Attributed by: Thomas Kalantzis.

Class: Master/Master.

Submitted by:

Obverse Description: Doubling on most letters of IN GOD WE TRUST, 1 & 9 of date, LTY of LIBERTY.

Reverse Description: All stars are doubled. Doubling shows on UNI of UNITED - TATES of STATES - OF AMERICA. Doubling shows on E.PLURIBU, UNUM. Doubled FG and leaf below. ONE DOLLAR is doubled.

Markers: Obverse Hub abraded R of LIBERTY (Peg Leg). Obverse: Scratch pattern seen in eye pocket changes from polishing LMDS to LDS. Granular surface is seen behind the center of the ear towards the back of the lower head and upper neck area. Two die chips are seen on top of the E of WE. Reverse: A long die scratch is seen on the eagles right wing from the first short feather just below the eagles neck running west away from the eagles breast ending in the same position as the eagles beak tip. A wavy die scratch is seen on the eagles left wing.

Date recorded: 6/26/2009 Coin. R113.

Population: 2. Obverse working die-J for hub 3..
    Reverse Hub 8.

I also shot the images blind and then had to match them up ....

O-what fun it is ....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stachowski; 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM.

For anyone that doesn't know, IDDD keeps their Hubs and working Dies, for that Hub, together .
    Makes it a lot easier for matching marriages ..

O-how lovely ..............

Comment

Hub 6 Reverse

Now that I took some images of the Reverse, it's Hub 6 .

Here's some info on Hub 6 .

IDDDR high relief PF Hub 6: CW lower left and or upper right of UNITED & States CCW of AMERICA & star under R, FG, left & Right on bottom left foot serif of N in ONE. Bottom left E of ONE. Bottom and top left serifs are split on the D of DOLLAR. First L in DOLLAR has the top left serif slightly split, the second L of DOLLAR has both top left and right serifs split and the bottom left serif is split as well. Bottom right AR. Doubling on the lower leaves, right side branch and split serif left branch end of ( Knock ). Early copies show a CW spread on EPU. Early stage and state copies show more detail on leaves showing doubling on upper and lower leaves. Early stage copies show split serifs on left and right of upper serifs split as well as the bottom left serif. Later copies does not show the top left serif as being split but rather looking mushy.

IDDDR-Master.

IDDDR-69 (Struck through Proof hubbed die metal)

Here's some images ..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Stachowski; 02-20-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Link To Hub 6

Here's the link to Hub 6 .

http://www.ikedollardoubleddie.com/iddd-1971-s-ddos.php

Scroll down to IDDDO-102 to check out the images I used for Hub 6 .

I'm also including some more images for Hub 6 .
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Stachowski; 02-20-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

New Die Marriage

I talked to Tom today and he thinks this will be a new die marriage .

The new marriage will be Obverse Hub 3, working die-LL for Hub 3 .

Reverse Hub 6 .

Its a match made in heaven ......

Comment

Working...
          X