Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 P 5c Ocean View SMS - CONECA DDR-018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 P 5c Ocean View SMS - CONECA DDR-018

I recently did some photos of some of my 2005 OIV 5c doubled die collection, and decided that this particular coin worked best with side-by-side comparisons. To me, it has to be one of the strangest die varieties of 2005. This 2005 P 5c SMS OIV DDR (aka the 'Super Fat' OIV) shows extreme extra thickness over the entire reverse. All the letters, waves, trees, etc. appear bloated and significantly thicker than the normal design. The obverse is normal.

When I first found it, I didn't know what it was - other than very weird. I've sent it to attributors Crawford, Ribar, Wexler, Wiles and recenty to CONECA's Mike Diamond. All agree that it is some sort of DDR (not die wear or deterioration) -- but the explanation for it varies. Most think it a form of Class VI doubled die - Distended Hub Doubling. I'm not sure I understand what that is -- I've read several definitions and I still don't have a good grasp of the process that caused this. Any ideas?

Had this been a stand-alone die variety, I think it would stand a chance of being a hot item. But what ever the process was that caused this, it repeated itself on several dies, although to a lesser extent. There are probabably at least 10 versions of the "Fat" OIV nickel. Some "Fat" OIVs have nearly normal rim letters, with extra thickness in the center design. A few versions have thicker letters on one side than on the other. A few types also include other doubling - Class VIII Tilted Hub doubling. But this "Super Fat" Ocean in View nickel (CDDR-010/WDDR-010/CONECA DDR-018) appears to be the "Fattest" version of them all.

Just to add to what I said above, here are photos of two other 'FAT OIV' DDRs. These are two that have tilted hub doubling in addition to the extra thickness on the rest of the design elements.

Shortly after I discovered a few of these, it was suggested to me on another forum that these "FAT OIVs" were most likely the result of some sort of die wear. If that were true, then the two tilted hub DDRs shown above should also exist in a normal (not "FAT") version. No such 'normal' DDR examples have turned up -- so the die wear idea does not hold water. To me, this just supports that the various attributors are correct and all versions of the "FAT OIVs" are DDRs. But again, I just don't have a handle on the process involved.

Some questions that I have pondered about these...

Was a normal hub making this extra thickness on the working dies or was the hub itself the source of the extra thickness?

Was more than one hub involved in manufacturing the working dies of these 'FAT OIVs"?

How many working dies might have been made from each hub?

Assuming that the hub was changing and getting 'fatter', was the hub not hardened properly -- or the working dies not softened properly?

If these 'FAT OIVs' are the result of one everchanging hub, it might be possible to put some sort of progression together.

And while I'm at it, here are two of my favorite 2005 Ocean in View DDRs...

I'm not all that fond of naming varieties with pet names - but this one sure looks like a Bird in the Tree. The doubling is very bold and doubles the length of the 2nd branch up on the left.

I like this one too - and also had to give it a name. I call it the UFO because that 2nd branch is doubled way out in space. This is one of the few tilted hub DDRs that is naked eye visible. Although weaker, this one also shows doubling of the tree trunk and lower left branch (to the right and under the "UFO").

To date, there are over 60 known 2005 5c DDRs - in proof, business strike, and Satin Finish/SMS. All those shown in this post are SMS. They were discovered after the MN and OR 25c DDR frenzy - and didn't get any press. Some of the varieties are very minor -- but most are pretty decent. And because they are unknown to most collectors, the market for these has been weak and they can be had for very little dough. I've managed to find or buy about 40 different versions, but here are a couple really bold ones that others have listed and I'd like to have.

So check your 2005 mint sets, WJ nickel sets, and your pocket change. If you find a new one and list it on ebay, I'll probably bid on it.
    Last edited by russellhome; 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Russell, those are very interesting photos. Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Great Photos! Thank You!!

Bill

Comment

Working...
        X