Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LUCKY GARY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LUCKY GARY!

My co-workers think I'm crazy for looking at every coin I get for errors and varieties. Well one of them inherited his mother's collection about 8 yrs. ago and last week asked me to look through them. I said sure and the next day he tossed me a plastic save-a-lot bag containing 2 zip lock bags with about 500 loose coins and 2 proof sets. I went home and the 1st coin I pulled out was an 1893 CC Morgan (Gary's clueless to treat this coin like that). A few coins later I pulled a 1966 Kennedy DDO (neat coin). I looked at his 1970 S proof set. The half is a TDO (CONECA 5-O-1; NICE!). About 200 coins and a few RPM's later I pulled a 1937 D "3 Legged Buffalo" nickle (LUCKY GARY!). I compared it to my Cherrypickers' Guide and pictures on the internet and it appears genuine to me. It has a full intact obv. rim and 3/4 of a horn on the buffalo (F-12 maybe). I then pulled a few more RPM's and a 1907 IHP with a RPD. Needless to say I had FUN! Gary's sending the "CC Morgan" and nickle to a grading service to confirm the finds and is now hooked on this hobby. Thought I would share a fun time with you all.
    Attached Files

Gary is lucky to have such an honest friend. Big finds are fun - any way you slice it. But I think finding them for yourself is more fun. I'm glad to hear that Gary has caught the bug -- the hobby can always use some new blood.

A neighbor of mine has been saving his copper for decades. I've discussed the DV hobby with him and he was surprised to learn that treasures may exist in his little hoard. I can't pry his fingers off of any of his coins -- I guess the tradition of saving all his cents is just too entrenched. He did offer to let me search the lot FOR HIM. But I had to pass -- way too much work for potential finds I'd have to turn around and hand back to him. Plus - I did not want to test my character and find out if I am as honest as you were with Gary.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
    X